Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali wood fired pizza oven!

On the OP - Uuni oven. We recently received one of these and I must be missing something. If you like pizza cooked burnt to a crisp on top and raw dough base then it's spot on. Otherwise......
For home use I'll be sticking to a pizza stone and gas Weber grill - perfect combo.

...pizza stone and gas Weber grill - perfect combo.

Same set-up as us Gav & the results are brilliant.
I've yet to try the pizza stone on my charcoal Weber though...:rolleyes: Hmmm... that might be nice.
Sounds like a plan for Friday... & another 'legitimate' excuse to be outside & drink beer...:bananadance

On the OP - Uuni oven. We recently received one of these and I must be missing something. If you like pizza cooked burnt to a crisp on top and raw dough base then it's spot on. Otherwise......
For home use I'll be sticking to a pizza stone and gas Weber grill - perfect combo.
They now come with a pizza stone, think it's gonna take some practise though to get it right.

Larrylamb - yep, thats the one we have (c/w stone). I'm sure it will take some practice but I'm giving in and going back to the grill. I questioned the concept from the start - pizza ovens need mass to work (my Weber grill and stone has mass). Light stainless folded sheet metal has no mass so the Uuni relies heavily on the flame to get the heat up which is right next to the pizza. It's all just too small of a margin - not too much flame, not too little, all the time reliant on the right amount of wood pellets being fed in / burnt at anytime which is dependent on the wind conditions as well - it burns through pellets like crazy and re-stoking the fire mid cook will subdue the flames too much so you have to be spot on with the burn pre-cooking.
Alternatively I switch on my gas grill, let it get to 500C with the hood down (full tilt on both burners). A nice piece of hardwood sitting on the grill gets the woodsmoke going. Pizza takes about 5minutes and, with the heat source below the stone, this equates to a good ratio of base to top cooking....
I really wanted to like this concept (funky video and all!) - my wife sourced the oven as an alternative to outdoor pizza ovens which they often install as part of the Landscape Business she owns but personally I think its miles off the mark.
All the promo photos and recipes seem to show the same issue - black top, soggy bottom...

My Uuni works fine with home made very thin bases but if you try to cook thick base shop bought pizzas then it struggles.
Overall I think it works fine.

Yea - we cook thin bases and I can see thats the only way this will work - still soggy tho, pretty poor that a 'bespoke' oven cant cook the easiest of recipes. Agree with the idea that - with practice - it will work "fine" but thats not really what its about 'fine'. Promotional material would have you believe it's a bit more than that. All good I just think it's worth folks being aware that a fair bit of hype seems to be going into this one... Shame.

Update, very pleased with the Uuni. Works great with home made thin dough. Bit of a knack to keeping the hopper full of hot wood pellets but overall great results.
IMG_2059.jpg IMG_2062.jpg IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2065.jpg IMG_2063.jpg

Back