Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Ocean Quality

Good morning all, I received my Cali 2 weeks ago and have noticed that the trim by the rear window passenger side does not fit correctly. Also the rear passenger side double glazed window has condensation in between the glass. The pop top also scratches the inner roof when opening/retracting. the Cali in the showroom had similar marks in the roof so may be a common attribute.

has anyone else had the same issues? Got it booked in at Breeze Poole in April so hopefully all will be resolved. needles to say, I am disappointed with the quality on a brand new View attachment 120665View attachment 120666

View attachment 120667
Just put a piece of low friction tape on the but that’s rubbing. I suspect it could be how you are lowering it raising the bed.
First issue is not and issue it’s been on every van we’ve had over the past 17 years. The window could be warranty claim. Log it and see if you need it replaced.

Agree with the last para of this in the main, having worked at an Auto company.

The fast fashion bit is not really how a factory production or quality line works. Neither at VW nor my old company. Neither does the mopping up piece - car manufacturers have not worked like this since the 80's because the upstream cost of fixing quality is much higher than doing at source and it would be financial suicide to work in that way.

I think people bemoaning current vs the past quality have slightly rose coloured specs, or are in the 95% that have no issues then or today. The half dozen people on here with issues always ignores the thousands with none. Such is forum life.

Everyone keeps calling VW a "premium" manufacturer. They are a volume manufacturer with a good reputation that allows them to charge more for the same vehicle compared to Skoda and Seat, both of which are VAG brands. We never saw VW as premium and I think people who expect their complex van to look like it's come out of a Lamborghini factory with laser edges and polishing are a little off the mark.

Go buy a conversion. Then see the difference.
As always interesting insight. The difference in perspective between an industry insider and a consumer. :cool:

I have to confess.......... sometimes..............just sometimes....................I wonder why I drive a Cali. VW are not what they used to be (ex '67 Beetle owner here)

(then I remember....... :cool: )
I had a 67 1500 automatic Beetle… should have kept it…

I’ve still no idea what is wrong in the first picture!?

And how can the pop top scratch the inner roof? That makes no sense. The canvas scratches the aluminium?!

I’ve still no idea what is wrong in the first picture!?

And how can the pop top scratch the inner roof? That makes no sense. The canvas scratches the aluminium?!
The horizontal gap is excessive. The Ocean in the showroom is flush

Good morning all, I received my Cali 2 weeks ago and have noticed that the trim by the rear window passenger side does not fit correctly. Also the rear passenger side double glazed window has condensation in between the glass. The pop top also scratches the inner roof when opening/retracting. the Cali in the showroom had similar marks in the roof so may be a common attribute.
1. Trim is fitted correctly
2.There shouldn't be any condensation inside the double glazed unit - if there is the seal has failed.
3. It's not the pop top that marks the aluminium, it looks like thats where strut that holds the bed base up in the air can touch if you don't pull the base down 100% straight.

Back