Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Rattle

The kitchen table on an Ocean/SE rattles like crazy as they are only locked in the stowed position adjacent the hinge by a flimsy plastic catch, leaving the mass of the depending lower 3/4 of the table free to move. Stuff a tea towel or something either behind the table to wedge it against the seat or between the seat and the table. Haven’t worked out which is best. Also the tap rattles on the glass worktop if not pushed down fully. The awning also rattles but that’s cured by tightening v tight with the winder crank.
The table is a well documented issue and most of the time has not been correctly stowed (takes a fair bit of practice to get it right, my wife still can't get it right after 4 years of ownership lol).

If it is the glass kitchen top check the three small clear round self adhesive feet that stick to the underside of the lid, quite common for on of these to come adrift.

How was your dealer visit Taff, what was the outcome of rattles / test drive and did you purchase or walk ?

Hi,
Just another quick one to check. I was getting a really annoying squeaking / rattling sound that I could have sworn was coming from the sliding door area. I faffed about with the blinds, pushed and pulled the interior trim, moved the bed back and forth etc, but with no success. It turned out to the the deck chairs stowed in the tailgate rubbing on the plastic supports........ Easily fixed by some non slip matting stuff.
Cheers!

Hi,
Just another quick one to check. I was getting a really annoying squeaking / rattling sound that I could have sworn was coming from the sliding door area. I faffed about with the blinds, pushed and pulled the interior trim, moved the bed back and forth etc, but with no success. It turned out to the the deck chairs stowed in the tailgate rubbing on the plastic supports........ Easily fixed by some non slip matting stuff.
Cheers!
Sound does travel from unusual places in the California.:thumb

I am always amazed how quiet my SE is. I quite often find myself listening out for anything stowed badly or as in the case of the table incorrectly clipped in. I think considering all the potential for niggling noises in the cali they are remarkably well stitched together. The kitchen table quite ofted catches me out ( no pun intended ) But that is quickly remedied. I never even notice my awning.

Does anyone remember the old VW Gold ads with girl with the squeaky ear ring.... the whole premise of the advert was that VWs are solidly built and don't rattle!!!! My VW CC used to rattle, my current VW Torag has a few annoying noises and my beech has rattle from the awning and the speaker grill on the front dash needs pushing into place every now and then to stop it rattling. It seems they all rattle.

Does anyone remember the old VW Gold ads with girl with the squeaky ear ring.... the whole premise of the advert was that VWs are solidly built and don't rattle!!!! My VW CC used to rattle, my current VW Torag has a few annoying noises and my beech has rattle from the awning and the speaker grill on the front dash needs pushing into place every now and then to stop it rattling. It seems they all rattle.

That was a great Ad ! One of the best.

My 10-year-old Cali has had various rattles in the past which I've sorted, and which have been covered on this forum (the kitchen table is the most obvious - we just shove it into place really hard!). A recent one was a strip of metal at the bottom of the sliding door working loose - just have to ram it back in. The back cupboard is rattling badly now (the one accessible from the tailgate). Tried tightening everything, and ramming the contents up against the door. But I think it's just got to point where you just have to put up with it. At 10 years old, it still drives like a dream, and looks superb, so a few rattles is the last thing I need to worry about!

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

They do rattle. But they shouldn't. If it has an Awning on then it's probably that. I never did get to solve the rattle on my Awning. Also could be a number of things like the tables. Not clipped in or missing some pads in the door. Bang the Awning when stationary with your hand. See if it's that. If so get them to swap it. I'm assuming it's empty of camping stuff like beer in the fridge and bottle openers in the drawer. Good luck.
The awning rattle which is quite common is usually the arms that meet in the middle. I’ve put a couple of rubber bumpers under where the arms rest on the casing - the self-adhesive type they use on double glazing are fine. This cured my awning raffle problem

Not quit correct. There should be a slide clip/catch that holds the bottom of the kitchen table, but you need to push the table towards the kitchen unit as you slide it into its storage position. There should be no need for a towel or anything else to stop the table rattling, just make sure it is stored properly.

Thanks WG you learn something everyday on here. I investigated your purported bottom catch for the stowed table and it indeed exists although it’s not strictly a catch as such.

What happens is the over elongated hinge pin of the table leg acts as spike, which is received in an apertured plastic formation that is fixed to the kitchen unit alongside the base of the bench seat. The aperture is quite small (maybe 5mm in diameter) and, unless you’re careful positioning the bottom of the table, is generally missed by the spike if you simply slide the table back until it hits the upper releaseable catch.

I can confirm that our table rattle has now disappeared! Thanks!

Back