Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California self inflating mattress - review

StevenP

StevenP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi we’ve just camped using our new Outdoor Revolution California 120 self inflating mattress and it was fantastic. Super comfy and easy to inflate and de-inflate - has anyone else tried these?

It is good, we’ve used this mattress both downstairs in the Cali and on the ground in a Vango awning. Ideally I’d like to pump it up a bit firmer. The real challenge we’ve got is to find one for upstairs, that can be easily deflated (by a micro pump). You can’t fit a pump to the Outdoor Revolution mattress. The VW mattress is just too firm, and our aches and pains are not soothed. Anyone got ideas in this?

Duvalay. We also had issues with the standard VW mattress - uncomfortable. Air mattresses are not our thing - just feels weird.

Duvalay for the upstairs and downstairs ... and now we have a good nights sleep in all conditions

It is good, we’ve used this mattress both downstairs in the Cali and on the ground in a Vango awning. Ideally I’d like to pump it up a bit firmer. The real challenge we’ve got is to find one for upstairs, that can be easily deflated (by a micro pump). You can’t fit a pump to the Outdoor Revolution mattress. The VW mattress is just too firm, and our aches and pains are not soothed. Anyone got ideas in this?
The sea 2 summit SIM works with a micro pump

Duvalay. We also had issues with the standard VW mattress - uncomfortable. Air mattresses are not our thing - just feels weird.

Duvalay for the upstairs and downstairs ... and now we have a good nights sleep in all conditions
Is that duvalay topper or duvalay sleeping bags. I'm always intrigued when people sing the duvalay praises as to which products they have. It normally involves me hopping onto the duvalay website and seeing all the options and then the prices and then thinking we'll try another trip with our £30 topper on the prison mattess :D

The sea 2 summit SIM works with a micro pump
Thanks @M88GAV. I knew I’d seen something on this, I recall now @CaliforniaTime had a video on this a year or more back, which I’ve just watched again. Interestingly I’ve previously ordered and returned the micro pump used as it wouldn’t inflate a wet paper bag (well, an air bed actually), the air leaked out the sides, but maybe I had a dud.

The best comfort so far is the Outdoor Revolution SIM on top of the VW mattress, but it’s a real pain to deflate on the upstairs bed, and impractical to manhandle down while inflated. I like the idea of leaving the S2S upstairs deflated.

I think we will try the Outdoor Revolution without the VW mattress upstairs, and if this works, look around for a S2S mattress, although I recall @CaliforniaTime saying they weren’t making them any longer. If that’s the case, anyone know of other brands that will connect to a pump?

Thanks @kurienp. We’ve looked at these, and contributors to other threads sing their praises. I have 2 concerns, the price (each time I look at the Duvalay website the cost has gone up £30, and now over £300), and also how to store it while travelling.

Is that duvalay topper or duvalay sleeping bags. I'm always intrigued when people sing the duvalay praises as to which products they have. It normally involves me hopping onto the duvalay website and seeing all the options and then the prices and then thinking we'll try another trip with our £30 topper on the prison mattess :D
Apologies for not clarifying. On the site that call all of their products mattress toppers. At 2.5 inch thickness, I would not call it a topper. It is a mattress in itself and we use this directly on the lower bed and also directly on top of the slats on top. The description of the product that we use is - DUVALAY Ocean Mattress Topper for the Lower Bed VW T6.1/T6/T5 California Ocean/Coast (2.5cm Memory Foam Gold) . Similar for the top bed.

Thanks @kurienp. We’ve looked at these, and contributors to other threads sing their praises. I have 2 concerns, the price (each time I look at the Duvalay website the cost has gone up £30, and now over £300), and also how to store it while travelling.
We got our lower one many moons ago, and yes, they have gone up on price. The lower one is rolled up and stays on the rear rack. I picked up the top one off this forum used but like new and it was a bargain.

We have the Sea 2 Summit and have used up top and have been very happy with it.

First time we pumped it up a bit with a small USB pump but we have found on subsequent trips no need to bother. We get it out an hour before bed, open up and leave valves open. We then pop it upstairs after an hour with the valves closed again and its the perfect level of firmness for us.

We used the pump to deflate as well but find it noisy on site so just roll and squeeze now. With the new bag it comes with being a compression sack, works well.

Just get the foam direct. Duvalay do not make foam. Foam4u.co.uk the cooling revo 60kg memory foam is great. The Tencel natural fibre cover can be added for a complete product. Cut to any thickness.

Just get the foam direct. Duvalay do not make foam. Foam4u.co.uk the cooling revo 60kg memory foam is great. The Tencel natural fibre cover can be added for a complete product. Cut to any thickness.
Sounds like a great option, thanks for the post.

I think we will try the Outdoor Revolution without the VW mattress upstairs, and if this works, look around for a S2S mattress, although I recall @CaliforniaTime saying they weren’t making them any longer. If that’s the case, anyone know of other brands that will connect to a pump?
That was third hand info. S2S are still producing the Deluxe Comfort mattress although supply can be inconsistent due to the supply chain. I would only use the S2S upstairs if it was removed each time the poptop is dropped. There is a risk it could inflate unintentionally due to the valve design and the appearance of microholes. The OR mattress has a better valve design as indicated by Will in his review. I seem to remember @CaliforniaTime also figured out how to get a pump attached by using a homemade adapter piece to bridge the inlets on the mattress and outlet on the pump.

Back