Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis in Shetland?

Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm wondering if there are any other Cali owners who bide in Shetland. It's great to see Calis up here during the summer, but most will be (welcome) visitors to our islands. But I was just curious to see if any of you are Shetland residents.

I don’t, but would love to visit. It looks an amazing place.

Just been watching the detective series “Shetland” and the scenery looks amazing….as are the number of police up there. More than round where we live….;-)

Hi Martin, sorry I’m not from Shetland, just a resident of Auld Reekie. Have only visited once many years ago and that was work related. Enjoyed Orkney in our Cali just before Covid, so Shetland was on our list at some point... well, that’s before we started watching latest TV drama. Should we pack our flak jackets and tin helmets? Is that the end of ‘Tosh? Slainthe

As being Dutch we don't live there, but did visit the Shetlands a few weeks ago. Lovely scenery! We mostly saw converted VW's and hardly any Cali's, but not sure if they were from Shetland residents.tempFileForShare_20220825-132054.jpg

I don’t, but would love to visit. It looks an amazing place.

Just been watching the detective series “Shetland” and the scenery looks amazing….as are the number of police up there. More than round where we live….;-)
Yes, it's a great place - with hardly any crime! You scarcely see a Polis! We visited in 2016 (briefly) and again in 2017.....and never really went home. Plenty of places for wild camping as well as established sites. Wind can be an issue, so be prepared to sleep downstairs with the roof down.

Hi Martin, sorry I’m not from Shetland, just a resident of Auld Reekie. Have only visited once many years ago and that was work related. Enjoyed Orkney in our Cali just before Covid, so Shetland was on our list at some point... well, that’s before we started watching latest TV drama. Should we pack our flak jackets and tin helmets? Is that the end of ‘Tosh? Slainthe
Well, the Twittersphere is alive with speculation about whether Tosh has survived. In reality it's an incredibly safe place with minimal crime. We also love Orkney, being just a short hop south and great for a short trip. Shetland is completely different in almost every respect. Getting here is becoming expensive, though - if you can get a space on the boat. Caithness-Orkney-Shetland is a great trip though.

As being Dutch we don't live there, but did visit the Shetlands a few weeks ago. Lovely scenery! We mostly saw converted VW's and hardly any Cali's, but not sure if they were from Shetland residents.View attachment 98388
That will be you at Cunningsburgh marina I think, in the silver-grey Cali? We're always lost in admiration for the many Dutch folk who find there way to northern Scotland and the Isles - quite a trek! Sorry we couldn't serve up better weather - it's been a really grim summer - but pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

That will be you at Cunningsburgh marina I think, in the silver-grey Cali?
Yes it is! and is the fabulous Mojave Beige :)

We were there the end of July and had a few nice days, but mostly windy and a bit of rain. I assume a typical Shetland weather.

I'm wondering if there are any other Cali owners who bide in Shetland. It's great to see Calis up here during the summer, but most will be (welcome) visitors to our islands. But I was just curious to see if any of you are Shetland residents.
We visited years ago, pre-kids and pre-Cali, and were booked to return when lockdown hit so had to cancel. We've been planning to return but haven't finalised anything. Still thinking over the fact that we probably won't be able to use an awning on many campsites and with two kids that's an issue, and not just for sleeping!

Lovely place though. We stayed in a remote cottage and loved every minute of it.