Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Table Leg Repair

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
We have just returned from 2 weeks in Shetland - great place - met another California with gas regulator issues - hope you got sorted out if you are reading this.

Our table leg also fell apart, may be useful to recount how I fixed it.

Around 3 years ago, the sliding part of the leg fell out, the plastic gizmo locating the slider in the fixed part sprung out, springs disappeared . . . . We were wildcamping somewhere, so I repaired myself. Replaced the two missing springs with springs from retractable ball-point pens, stuck into their holes with a sticky dot from stationers.

This worked fine until our Shetland trip - I had not realised how crucial the grub screw in the side of the fixed part was, it prevents the sliding part slipping out altogether. So the grub screw is just as important as the springs.

It is a tiny grub screw, very small Hx key needed. No idea if available on its own from VW - I doubt it!! Nothing in my cycle spares that would fit, but I discovered that the brass terminal screw from a 13 amp plug fits OK - slightly too large, but beds in well, and can be removed with electrical screwdriver if need be, no need for a tiny Hx key. Works fine now ! though we still check the security of the leg very carefully before putting food down . . . .

Lewis - Sheffield

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Shetland - great place - met another California with gas regulator issues - hope you got sorted out if you are reading this.

Our table leg also fell apart, may be useful to recount how I fixed it.

Around 3 years ago, the sliding part of the leg fell out, the plastic gizmo locating the slider in the fixed part sprung out, springs disappeared . . . . We were wildcamping somewhere, so I repaired myself. Replaced the two missing springs with springs from retractable ball-point pens, stuck into their holes with a sticky dot from stationers.

This worked fine until our Shetland trip - I had not realised how crucial the grub screw in the side of the fixed part was, it prevents the sliding part slipping out altogether. So the grub screw is just as important as the springs.

It is a tiny grub screw, very small Hx key needed. No idea if available on its own from VW - I doubt it!! Nothing in my cycle spares that would fit, but I discovered that the brass terminal screw from a 13 amp plug fits OK - slightly too large, but beds in well, and can be removed with electrical screwdriver if need be, no need for a tiny Hx key. Works fine now ! though we still check the security of the leg very carefully before putting food down . . . .

Lewis - Sheffield
Thanks for the info about the tiny screw. We had it fall out in France a couple of years back. I was able to screw in back with my finger and a knife but not very securely so I put some duct tape round it and so far it had held up fine. But I'm impressed with your ability to put it all back together again! And I'll now go and look for a spare 13 amp plug..... sounds a better bet than my lashup.

Thanks for the info about the tiny screw. We had it fall out in France a couple of years back. I was able to screw in back with my finger and a knife but not very securely so I put some duct tape round it and so far it had held up fine. But I'm impressed with your ability to put it all back together again! And I'll now go and look for a spare 13 amp plug..... sounds a better bet than my lashup.
Hi Lewis, we have recently bought a T5.1 Cali and the grub screw has been missing from day 1, I’m off to the shed to find a suitable 13 amp plug. This club site and it’s members are fantastic ! THANK YOU ALL