Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camper Control Unit Removal... Help needed

SimplyDubs

SimplyDubs

VW and loving it...
Vehicle
N/A
Hi there team.

Looking for a little help removing the camper control unit.

I've got to the point of releasing the clips on the side of the unit itself and starting to pull it out... But it won't actually come out.

The bottom comes out as expected but it appears to be also clipped in along the top edge.

Is this right?

Are the any tips, special moves, tools or contortions that will help release the top.?

Thanks
Mark

I did a trial run with mine in case I need to bring our roof down manually in an emergency, I used a handy tutorial in the download section on here.

I did a trial run with mine in case I need to bring our roof down manually in an emergency, I used a handy tutorial in the download section on here.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Already followed the instructions from the downloads but they don't appear to show the unit clipped at the top the way mine is and just show it pulling straight out once the side clips are released.

Any suggestions anyone?

It need some assistance by puching it out from the back. There's a risk of thearing the front panel off from the unit itself

It need some assistance by puching it out from the back. There's a risk of thearing the front panel off from the unit itself

Agreed and understood.

This is exactly what I'm trying but it's clipped/fastened very firmly along the front top edge... Looks like in two places.

I'm pushing it with a lot of force and am slightly worried about breaking something.

Try with the back of a coffeespoon to relaese the clips , it it's shown with a picture on the sticky tread by me in the t5 technical forum .
The picture is posted by Umberto...
Edit:
Copy-pasteimage.jpg

Last edited:
Ah... looks like the spoon trick might work.

Just tried and it released the left clip but not the right... will persevere.

Thanks for the help.

M

Argghhh... Still can't remove the righthand top clip... Having a rest after 45 minutes of trying.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was glued back in when it had the roof repair! Give the other issues I had, it's entirely possible.

Will try again later.

M

Yipee.... Finally managed to remove it, patience is what was needed.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick question:- What are the other two connectors for? The ones with two wires and six wires... they are connected on my van and I have no idea how to remove them!!!

Regards
Mark

All sorted... The small connectors are indeed to control the heater.

A little confidence (brute force) is needed to get them out, there are no clips etc.

Needed to get it out as I managed to come by a spare one and wanted to get it fully tested... All done and all working. VERy happy indeed.

Thanks again.

M

Needing to get my control panel out ..... any tips before i attack it ????

I've read that you have to connect the small plugs back first when you install a new control unit - is there any order in which you need to remove them in the first place??

Back