Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campersite in or near Cambridge

A

A'dam

As our son is at Cambridge University, we like to cross the Channel every now and then from Amsterdam, NL, to visit. We've had very mixed experiences at the exceptionally expensive site in Cherry Hinton, Cambridge, where the owner actually wanted to inspect our Cali, as he didn't believe it was a campervan ( he looked at us as if he expected to find a meth-lab in our van!). Anyway: question is: does anyone know of a quiet campersite in or near Cambridge? Thanks for letting us know!

Hi, we recently stayed at Houghton Mill. We really liked the campsite. It is very quiet but everyone was very pleasant. It's an old caravan club site that is now run by the national trust. Mainly mobile homes and caravans but no snobbery towards our Beach! In fact some people asked if they could have a look!
You can cycle into Cambridge on the old bus route. I believe it is traffic free most of the way into Cambridge once you get to St Ives.
As we had a 6 and 8 year old with us we didn't get that far. We used the park and ride which was great except we got into the car park no problems but found the bikes on the rack were too high to get out so we had to take the bikes off and reload on the other side!
Lovely picturesque villages nearby and a shop and pubs in walking distance.
River is right next to the campsite if you fancy a bit of canoeing too.

Hi, we recently stayed at Houghton Mill. We really liked the campsite. It is very quiet but everyone was very pleasant. It's an old caravan club site that is now run by the national trust. Mainly mobile homes and caravans but no snobbery towards our Beach! In fact some people asked if they could have a look!
You can cycle into Cambridge on the old bus route. I believe it is traffic free most of the way into Cambridge once you get to St Ives.
As we had a 6 and 8 year old with us we didn't get that far. We used the park and ride which was great except we got into the car park no problems but found the bikes on the rack were too high to get out so we had to take the bikes off and reload on the other side!
Lovely picturesque villages nearby and a shop and pubs in walking distance.
River is right next to the campsite if you fancy a bit of canoeing too.

Thank you so much, will go there in future! Might need to get some rowing practice in the Amsterdam canals before venturing out on an English one....left hand rowing? Bad joke, but thank you again!

We stay regularly at the c&c club site in Oxford- quite central, often busy and noisy on the train line side, but still useful for central Oxford. We have also stayed 'Cotswolds Camping' Charlbury which is quiet and nice (in the Cool Camping guide) but takes about 20 mins into town.

Ah, but last time I looked Oxford was a two hour drive from Cambridge....but thanks anyway...who knows...perhaps one of our other children may end up there, and your info might come in handy! :)

There is a camping and caravan club site at Cambridge. Not stayed there myself but it looks to be in a decent location not too far away

Ah yes, well that'll teach me to actually read a post before replying!

Ah, Marshian 70, that is the exact one I mentioned in my first post: with the highly weird owner, who seriously insisted on inspecting the inside of our Cali before letting us stay at his campsite, claiming that ' one can never be too careful' and ' I need to make sure it is safe for the other guests'.....huh?? Our Cali is just over one year old, looks very new and well kept, and I look very very unlike a terrorist: to be honest, I felt very uncomfortable and unwelcome at this campsite. Maybe it was the NL numberplate, or general xenophobia!? We will never know!

Hi, the Cherry Hinton site is a Caravan Club site, they tend not to like anything other than motorhomes or caravans, so they always check if you have cooking facilities. My mate with a Beach was told he would not be allowed on site.

The Camping and Caravan Club site is good, it is on the outskirts of Cambridge on the M11 motorway side. Nice site, very friendly and plenty of space. At the top of the road there is a bus stop with regular buses to the city.

There is another small site on the A10 towards Ely, a little noisy due to the road but right behind a pub for food etc. I think also on the bus route.

Further out there is a place called Roseberry Touring Park off the A14, a large site with gravel pitches. Downside is you cannot really walk to the village but it is a short drive, with a couple,of pubs/restaurants. It is a few miles out of the city but not too far from the park and ride for the city.

I have stayed at all 3, the most convenient for the city is the camping and caravan club site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed at a small site near Ely at Little Thetford in February once.

Definitely noisy and something very odd about it. Mainly statics occupied year around. Just a few touring pitches.
February can be a glum month I know, but this place gave me the creeps. Still don't know why!
Anyone else stayed there?

Back