Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping at Glentress Forest over New Years

Ken M

Ken M

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Right, just booked four nights camping at Glentress Forest near Edinburgh over New Years as well as planning for a couple of nights at York and the North York Moors on the way north. Would have liked to have secured a site in or closer to Edinburgh for Hogmanay but we were too slow making bookings, although camping at a mountain bike trail head isn’t a bad alternative.

Anyway, coming from the warmer climes of the Antipodes, the idea of camping in the mountains of Scotland in the middle of winter has not been an easy sell to the wife. I have combed the forums in search for cold weather camping tips that have largely placated her (that and a thorough testing of the parking heater last night), however, is there anything that I need to be particularly aware of or prepare for? Will I get by with normal/standard tyres? How frequent are storms such as the one hitting Scotland at present and would that storm be beyond the capabilities of the Cali when in a forest (ie protected from direct wind)? And has anyone ridden the Glentress trails in winter - good?

Glentress is Borders, not really mountains, more moors. It's an easy drive to Edinburgh, except if there's snow, when it may get more awkward. Can't remember off-hand if there are snow gates on the road to Edinburgh.

Peebles is a lovely town...not ridden the trails, supposed to be good. One of the 7 Stanes.

Edinburgh is very busy at NY. Holidays extend through the 2nd too, so shops may be closed longer.

I don't think you should be unduly worried about storms beyond the capability of a Cali. Can happen anywhere of course and possibly a higher possibility in Scotland than further south in the UK but still your chances should be good of not having a storm of considerable force. There now I've said it :mute

Good trails at Glentress but also at Innerleithen down the road.

You'll be fine. As others have said, Peebles is not the mountains and it's unlikely you'll get decent snow. The site isn't actually in the forest, so not much protection during a storm but also you don't have the worry of falling branches landing on you during the night!

The trails are designed to be all-weather so assuming they are not icey, there's not much difference in winter vs summer. Apart from how wet and cold you will get :)

Also if you want to spend Hogmanay night in Edinburgh there are plenty quiet* streets you can park up for the night, within walking distance of the city centre. PM me if you want some suggestions. (*well as quiet as you can get on Hogmanay!)

Thanks all for the advice. Makes me more comfortable with our plans and really looking forward to it.

Stuart, keen for some suggestions for parking and also if you have any ideas for the best approach to Hogmany with kids (14 and 10). Tried to PM you but not sure how. Is it the same as starting a conversation?

You can camp at Innerleithan so you have access to that trail center and GT, there is also s nice loop you can do over to kielder but that does get affected by snow. I raced the MTB Marathon Champs there some years back, epic trails.

Thanks all for the advice. Makes me more comfortable with our plans and really looking forward to it.

Stuart, keen for some suggestions for parking and also if you have any ideas for the best approach to Hogmany with kids (14 and 10). Tried to PM you but not sure how. Is it the same as starting a conversation?
I'm no longer a VIP member on here so it might not be possible to PM. I'll get in touch this evening, not sure how yet!

Be adventurous - wild camp in centre of Edinburgh for NYE - thats whats id do - the kids will never forget it ..... the fireworks and fun. Its amazing you can park in our cities for free over the weekends in the poshest parts too.

Hmm, not in Edinburgh in the centre, think they've introduced patrols too. They've been known to ticket hearses...might be ok at NYE tho. My nephew was fascinated by the cars being lifted and I did have the job of trying to relocate the lifted car compound as it was in the way of the tram a few years back.

The issue with Edinburgh is the centre is up a bloody big hill, so the walk up from where you can park and I'd agree there are plenty of places you could quietly camp would be interesting. Buses are great tho! Think I'd park down near the beach! :)

I also used to live in the street just outside the control zone, so I never got to park my own car anywhere near my flat but they've now extended the control zone. Plus I popped up to work a few months ago and see that it's 20mph everywhere.

Not read the link but I assume all you need to know is here:

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20085/parking_spaces

Ah, see the bit where it says parking holidays!

I would take up the offer of local advice above, there are some places in Edinburgh I would not take any car...it's not all posh.

Thanks all for the advice. Just got back from a fantastic week away. Really happy with how the van went in the cold, and also how we as a family went (14 yo son and 10 yo daughter) squished into such a small space for a week - a testimony to the flexibility and versatility of the van. Got to experience temps down to -5C, driving in snow and sleet, camping in snow and two storms with winds up to 60mph. Didn’t get cold once (well not in the van) and no water either. We did have a drive away awning setup while at Glentress, but for the other 4 nights we were able to very effectively manage everything in the van. Also got three excellent rides in on the North York Moors and at Glentress in some challenging conditions.

A very satisfying week which has proven that we are now able to camp and travel year round in the UK.

Good man, I love it up there, glad you got done riding in too.
Thanks all for the advice. Just got back from a fantastic week away. Really happy with how the van went in the cold, and also how we as a family went (14 yo son and 10 yo daughter) squished into such a small space for a week - a testimony to the flexibility and versatility of the van. Got to experience temps down to -5C, driving in snow and sleet, camping in snow and two storms with winds up to 60mph. Didn’t get cold once (well not in the van) and no water either. We did have a drive away awning setup while at Glentress, but for the other 4 nights we were able to very effectively manage everything in the van. Also got three excellent rides in on the North York Moors and at Glentress in some challenging conditions.

A very satisfying week which has proven that we are now able to camp and travel year round in the UK.