Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping seats not fit for purpose

Mo!

Mo!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Calimilli,
Thanks for the heads, great bit of info, they look great and have good reviews online.
VW ones are certainly b----------- uncomfortable. As Borris says, the seat bar is too far forward and the rear bar is also extremely comfortable. Really could be described as not fit for purpose as a seat. Why do we have to put up with rubbish like this from VW? Don't they take notice of owners feadback?

What would we do without the forum info. Love my Cali, but VW ------------. SusiBus
An amazing forum - really helpful!

Mo!

Mo!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thank you so much for your help, this is great. Thanks for taking the time to help
Thank you very much again - metal replacement parts are paid for and on their way..........£40all in! I can happily accept to pay this, and fix them myself. There is clearly a need for them for some batches of chairs. So pleased not to be having to pay hundreds of pounds to replace the chairs. 1 x happy Cali owner again!

J

JohnP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I broke one on each of my chairs, I read that there was a 'bad batch' about 2016 - which fits mine. I found a remedy with 22mm copper plumbing pipe which looks as though it will do the job (lockdown permitting). I replaced all four and found one of the 'good' ones was already cracked and about to break.

S

Spottydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Despite what some people will tell you, this is a common issue with these VW picnic chairs. There is a design fault in the plastic joint shown in your photograph. It fails because this cheap plastic component has a hole through it to take the securing pin/rivet. The hole provides the built in weakness. And before anyone starts banging on about the weight of the person using the chair just bear in mind that this part isn't load bearing. It merely joins the arm to the top of the front leg frame.

You can buy metal replacements for these joints but before going down that road do you have a Factory Extended Warranty? If you have one then VW will replace the whole chair. The FEW offers exactly the same benefits as the original three year warranty despite what the service manager might try telling you. Don't take "it's not covered sir" because it is. VW Customer Services have told me as much in writing.

I've had two go and I also think that they aren't fit for purpose in their factory form. I also don't find them at all comfortable. Accordingly, I don't use them.

The replacement metal joints were being made by DomiT6, a forum member You can contact him via his Email D.Baeurle@gmx.de Use the search function and type in "Folding chair broken" then take a look at post 34. He has posted some great photos.

He is a lovely chap and very helpful.
Never had a problem with mine and they have had 8 years of abuse!

PAMMYVAN

PAMMYVAN

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had two new ones in 4 years covered under warranty. Previous van chairs were no problem for 7 years. It’s the plastic that gives way. Have T6.1 got better design?

A

Adam Jenkins

VIP Member
The exact same thing happened to one of my chairs at the beginning of last year. I think it occurred after closing the tailgate when the boot was overloaded. I think you’ll find that the arm joint is where the loaded chair in the tailgate would come into contact with any item which Is overloaded at the bottom of the boot. I was stunned at the price of a new chair. I ooked for parts unsuccessfully and eventually used a suitable piece of doweling threaded through both broken parts and glued. Replaced the rivet with a screw to hold the part stable. Still going strong after one year as it’s not a weight bearing joint.

C

Chris Hardern

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi. I had the same problem and bought 4 fixtures from Domi. They are really robust and pretty easy to fit. I tried superglue but that didn't work. Send him an e amil to see if he is still making them. D.Baeurle@gmx.de.

sapto

sapto

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Ours are still okay - I guess they are the original ones but I had to change the cloth last year.

I def would ask your VW centre [mention]Mo! [/mention]and otherwise change to DomiT6 parts. Good luck!

Cali4nia-Dream

Cali4nia-Dream

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I broke one on each of my chairs, I read that there was a 'bad batch' about 2016 - which fits mine. I found a remedy with 22mm copper plumbing pipe which looks as though it will do the job (lockdown permitting). I replaced all four and found one of the 'good' ones was already cracked and about to break.
Can you share the details of how you did it please.

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ours are still okay - I guess they are the original ones but I had to change the cloth last year.

I def would ask your VW centre [mention]Mo! [/mention]and otherwise change to DomiT6 parts. Good luck!
@sapto, what are these domit6 parts you mention?

Ta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro