Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping with seven seats

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone ever gone camping for any length of time with seven seats in? Obviously the 'long' bed can still be made up with the multiflex in etc, but I was just thinking of maybe taking the MFB out all together and using the lower bed with the bench seat flat and the two additional seats folded flat? I was only thinking of using the two additional seats for travel to the destination, and then reverting to seven seats for days out etc. Then the bench could be folded flat for transporting kit and then back in the seating position for passengers when on location.

Just a thought that went through my head when planning trips later this year!

Has anyone ever gone camping for any length of time with seven seats in? Obviously the 'long' bed can still be made up with the multiflex in etc, but I was just thinking of maybe taking the MFB out all together and using the lower bed with the bench seat flat and the two additional seats folded flat? I was only thinking of using the two additional seats for travel to the destination, and then reverting to seven seats for days out etc. Then the bench could be folded flat for transporting kit and then back in the seating position for passengers when on location.

Just a thought that went through my head when planning trips later this year!

Only one night. It is not easy, but I guess if you have older children sleeping in a tent you will have help with all the necessary reorganisation every time you pitch and strike camp.

I did a short tour of Ireland with 3 adults & 2 children, with 6th seat installed (for grandad, who flew). 7th seat space was taken up by VW cool/warm box, so fairly comparable.

Given that it was one of our first trips and I was loaded up with gear, it wasn’t too bad.

We camped in 4 locations, including a one-nighter after travelling 12 hours. It wasn’t too tricky, although it would’ve been easier with an inflatable awning (with groundsheet) to throw the gear into.

I would test the bed idea (without the multi flex board) first - I wouldn’t dream of upsetting the flat bed, as my sore back was the reason for owning a Cali.

Have done it plenty when our son was small enough to sleep in between us, in a euro Multivan (no pop top or MFB so just used a topper over the bench and middle seats). It was ok when sleeping one night en route to somewhere, but full of camping gear and low roof meant doing anything other than sleeping was awkward and meant moving stuff.