Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

bed and 2 rear seats

A

Aroooba

Hi
Is it possible to have the rear bench seat as a bed and leave the 2 rear swivil seats in place? I ask because I have 4 kids so need all the rear seating I can get but looking at the brochures non of the pictures shows the rear seats in place when the bed is down.
Thanks

If you have a 3 seat bench then the answer is yes, but it is TIGHT........

With the 3 seater bench you can shorten the platform by folding the front third down out of the way. That gives you room to use the middle row as an extension of the bed.

rupertpoon said:
With the 3 seater bench you can shorten the platform by folding the front third down out of the way. That gives you room to use the middle row as an extension of the bed.

Is the Long Bed - as described in the manual?

James

Hi,

We have the swivel seats back in our beach now.
What we have done is taken out the multiflex board and have the 3 seater bench in bed mode all the time and our 2 kids sit in the swivel seats.
If you like you could say that we use the 3 seater bench as a big multiflex board so we stow heavy items under and bedding pillows etc on top. When we need it as a 5,6 or 7 seater we just lift the bench up again.
In sleep mode all we have to do is swivel the seats and fold them flat, this is where our feet go so its not a problem.
I agree with defender that with the multiflex board in place it is doable but tight.

//Mart.

PS. We do it this way as i feel its too much trouble putting in and taking out the swivels.

There was a thread on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=4602

It has a photo that may help! despite the topic heading.

Or alternative approach here, this is with the multiflex board still in the van so lay out would be further back if you removed it.

[album]1012[/album]

Click through to get a bigger version

Steve.

SteveM said:
Or alternative approach here, this is with the multiflex board still in the van so lay out would be further back if you removed it.

Steve.
Exactly!

Thank you everyone. I have been to three dealerships and was told categorically by each one that it is not possible to fold down the bench seat and leave the 2nd row in. So im very relieved to hear and see that you can.

Aroooba said:
Thank you everyone. I have been to three dealerships and was told categorically by each one that it is not possible to fold down the bench seat and leave the 2nd row in. So im very relieved to hear and see that you can.

I am sure it is in the manual described as the 'long bed'

James

You can just about do it with all the seats in but it's VERY tight and isn't easy. You have to play about getting everything in the right place - multiflex board all the way back, middle seats all the way forward and the bench in exactly the right place.

Somebody suggested taking the plastic rail ends out (near the front seats) so you can get the middle row of seats an extra inch forward. This would probably help quite a lot.

Here's a picture of mine I took for the forum a while back - the multiflex board flap is UP:

3%20seat%20bed.jpg

Seems to me that the dealerships are poorly briefed because I was very surprised to be told that what appears to be such a well thought out vehicle had such a flaw. It's even more surprising when you consider that the salesmen told me that they often get asked this question, which means lots of people have been misled.

It's not a flaw it's about understanding the Beach.

The two seater bench Beach is the original camping vehicle. It has a lower flatter bed like the full Cali.

The three seater Beach has a high bed and copies the Caravelle in seat design. It can also take two additional seats as opposed to the one of the two seater

Therefore the aim of the three seater Beach is to maximise practicality. The idea is the that the additional seats are for when you need an MPV.

So it's not so much a flaw but more a lack of understanding.

I would agree that some dealerships are poorly briefed but I'd never describe the Beach as openly thought out. You've got two distinct versions which both have positives and both have compromises.

Hope this helps

James

surfbus said:
James said:
the three sweater Beach

Hi James,

Is this the option if you don't have a Parking Heater or Auxiliary Heating? :lol:

Cheers,

Bill

Lol do you know I changed that several times. The downside of trying to write on a phone.

James :)

Back