Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite Rant

" No Cycling past the toilet block " :Nailbiting[/QUOTE said:
Ah, now that's for your own safety, bearing in mind most caravaners use their cars to go to the toilet block.

Just spent a cracking couple of nights at Incleborough fields, Norfolk. The wardens were great. They were even all right when I apologised for burning two rectangles in the pitch with the disposable bbq's :sad.

It's all down to people at the end of the day.

One of my favourite CC sites; I was there in late May/early June this year for the fifth stay in the last few years.

It's such a shame that many people have had negative experiences on Caravan Club sites. I have been a member for several years now and have stayed on four different CC sites with the Cali so far this year (30 nights in total at Sandringham, Incleboro, River Breamish and Hawes) and have no complaints at all. The wardens were all pleased to see/chat about the Cali; at the last three sites I used the Quechua Base with no mention of this from anyone, despite not always parking close to it but using the wind-out awning to connect the van and the Base, and on two of the four sites the wardens said I was welcome to drive or reverse onto the pitch. I think it just depends what you want from a site and, to some extent, which wardens happen to be working there at the time. I am happy with the CC rules as they are but if I wasn't I would just stay somewhere else :)

We used to be members of both CC and C&CC but we don't get away enough to warrant being in both so cancelled C&CC membership.
I like CC sites on the whole as you know what you're getting toilet/shower facilities wise.
And while I'm not a stickler for rules and regulations on the whole, I've never had problems on a CC site with regards to problem neighbours which I couldn't say about some of the independent sites we've stayed on, where I've found they can sometimes be too lax about enforcing rules which on one occasion last year led to me having a stand up row with someone on the next pitch to me on a site in Bude!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

CC is ran by Nazis. Best avoided unless you wish to comply and love music whilst you pee.

When we stayed at Sutton-on-Sea caravan club site a few years ago, theyhad a sign up in the toilets saying "Where are your children? Whose holiday are they ruining right now". Priceless!!

Oh I can relate to this, other people's children playing, shouting and screaming, playing ball games close to us and well way from their own pitches. Thank goodness for CC sites, never had a problem with over zealous wardens, or noisy children, fortunately, even when parked totally incorrectly on an unusually shaped grass pitch; mistakenly rather than deliberately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh goodness, I think the opposite,

I think the CC started off life as lots of good hearty outdoor folks organising rally's and singing an adult form of Ging gang Goolie , and Rallies are integral to CC today.

Note I say integral to the CC, not to the members. Look at the executive committee and look at the voting system, the regional layers of organisation then you end up with the top strata rule-making body being elected by the rallyists and not by the modern camper / caravaner.

Hence you have the rule book and site managers still called wardens. The rules were terribly important when hordes of 1920's hippies were turning up, lighting bonfires, had wooden framed caravans. Those rules evolved, the executive stuck in it's rallyist roots moved further distant from today's modern "camper", the rules became more important than running a modern leisure business and thus we have rule books, warders/wardens, those who revere the rule book and those that have the traditional anarchist view of what freedom entails.

Nothing wrong with the CC, just sadly a lot see the rules cast in stone and the rules being more important than a flexible reality.

I stay on a lot of CC sites but it has to be careful. 25 years ago it was the benchmark campsite for ordered cleanliness. Today it's ordered cleanliness is commonplace in the commercial sector, the commercial sector increasingly is more niche aware and develops business models appealing to a particular sector, the commercial sector thinks less of draconian interpretation of rules and more about satisfying a customer as a leisure business should and, most importantly, is becoming price competitive to the CC, without demanding a membership fee.

CC is ran by Nazis. Best avoided unless you wish to comply and love music whilst you pee.
Sorry, I Disagree.
The Caravan Club is run by people for people to enjoy their holiday. It has rules, as does any organisation, and if you don't agree with those rules then don't join. It has high standards and good facilities.
If the rules keep out the yobs then that is fine by me.
You wouldn't send your kids to play in your neighbours garden, would you?

I like CC sites but the last site (Meathop Fell) had about 2 children but what seemed like 50 dogs competing for loudest bark.

Did you stay in the camper boutique at Meathop?

The strip of road opposite reception with about 6 spaces for limited wheelbase vehicles? Most peaceful.

The strip of road opposite reception with about 6 spaces for limited wheelbase vehicles? Most peaceful.
We liked it too. Slightly down hill in a leafy bit last time. We like this cc site, often has late availability too ;)

N

No, they were very helpful and the site fully booked but we could pick any pitch we liked. If eating at the hotel/restaurant next door it is advisable to book in advance.

My only problem with Meathop was the price. I was only popping in for one night, as a stopover and £18 was not what I expect given they are having Victoria and Albert stay.

The next trip that way I found a Britstop, lovely, cost nowt to stop , nice food, pleasant owner, no hassle other than the bar bloke wanting to get to know me better and disturbing me later on.

Don't ever go to Seatown at Golden Cap then (not CC), cost us £34 a night :eek: my GF liked it so much we stayed two nights. We made up for it with a couple of wild camps ;)

Had good C&CC, CC private. Also had poor C&CC,CC and private. As we tend to stay 1 night if not happy we just not avoid in the future If good we may stay a second night. Some of the best sites have been the small certificated by sites by C&CC and CC sites normally with only 5 places.

We are on the CC site at Bladon. I arrived on my own initially, pitched and proceeded to crack into some beers in honour of a crappy week. Half an hour later, the very well to do and elderly couple next door came over from their posh caravan "we are off to the supermarket, can we get you anything?"

That is generally my experience! Great people, great locations...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Surely the parking is crazy.
I like to park on my pitch with my sliding door away from the wind or facing the amazing view I've paid to camp and see.
But I am living the offside peg rule as being left hand drive it could change everything.

Mike.

We are on the CC site at Bladon. I arrived on my own initially, pitched and proceeded to crack into some beers in honour of a crappy week. Half an hour later, the very well to do and elderly couple next door came over from their posh caravan "we are off to the supermarket, can we get you anything?"

Yes but they had nicked the caravan, was going home before they got rumbled and were trying to blag some cash for the bus fare :shocked

Everyones gotta have a hobby!

Back