Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite recommendation around Taunton / A303 Eastbound

Renaissance-Man

Renaissance-Man

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi folks,

I am heading off on a mini trip from East Sussex to near Taunton to pick up a solar panel for my new Cali Ocean from Roger Donaghue at solar camper solutions. As I have not yet slept a night in her, I thought I would make an overnight journey of it and get a feel for what I still need in the van and what I've missed. Leaving the wife and dog at home so just me and finding my way around using the Campervan for what it is for.

Can anyone recommend a quiet campsite en route back from Taunton along the A303 heading East? I would like to stay near Taunton ish but happy to travel back as far as Salisbury area before stopping for the night.

My research has turned up Holly Bush Park near Taunton but I would welcome first hand suggestions. No hook up needed though prefer a hard stand given how wet the weather has been!

Yes, as Loz said, Tanpits. Lovely place, have dinner at the Monkton inn, Monkton Heathfield. It was where I stayed when Roger fitted my solar panel.

Alternatively, if only looking for one night, if you want a pub stopover just stop at the Monkton. Even nearer of course is the blackbirds near Wellington.

Have stayed at Stonehenge campsite previously, nice little site (at this time of year when the camping fields are closed!)

Thanks guys! I think the Tanpits or Stonehenge looks good too! I shall report back on the first night in the van!

• Thanks
Reactions: Sad
Hi folks,

I am heading off on a mini trip from East Sussex to near Taunton to pick up a solar panel for my new Cali Ocean from Roger Donaghue at solar camper solutions. As I have not yet slept a night in her, I thought I would make an overnight journey of it and get a feel for what I still need in the van and what I've missed. Leaving the wife and dog at home so just me and finding my way around using the Campervan for what it is for.

Can anyone recommend a quiet campsite en route back from Taunton along the A303 heading East? I would like to stay near Taunton ish but happy to travel back as far as Salisbury area before stopping for the night.

My research has turned up Holly Bush Park near Taunton but I would welcome first hand suggestions. No hook up needed though prefer a hard stand given how wet the weather has been!

If not ending a hook-up but wanting hardstanding, how about a britstop or any overnight stop over? Avoids the hassle of booking and deposits, cheaper, more convivial if you want to eat and drink and more likely to be On rather than off the beaten track.

I'm thinking Catash Inn, North Cadbury. Next junction on A303 after Sparkford, up Parish hill for about a mile, pub on RHS, turn right and car park behind is big and quiet. Park by kids playground.

Last edited:
An Engligh Heritage custodian at Stonehenge the other week told me that you could park up overnight legally at Woodhenge nearby, & there was a pub local to it. Lots of vans park on the track just west of Stonehenge (tourists near the 303, new age travellers further in) but Woodhenge is quieter & nicer, apparently. Haven't tried it yet but useful to know.

Braades Acre, Tilshead near Salisbury. Quirky little campsite, hard standing or grass, EHU or not, great facilities, low cost. I love the place and the people. About 6 miles from the A303.

Back