Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

flat leisure battery with roof still up scenario

Mimi

Mimi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi .I have a question please .Sorry to ask but I have looked and I cant find a previous thread on this .
I am going to Glastonbury festival this year and I will be parked up for a good six days . I am expecting my leisure batteries will be all used up at about day 4/5 ? I would ideally like a solar panel from Roger Donoghue but I am not confident on fitting my own but the long drive down to Taunton ( I live in the Midlands) isn't possible between now and June ., SO my question is this,..Will the raised pop up roof still close when it is time to go home on flat leisure batteries if the engine was ticking over ? :) Thanks

When my battery's have been low a message appears in the MFD "start ignition".

Fitting the solar panel is fairly straightforward job and worth getting. I've just retro fitted mine, that was on my old se, to my beach. If you get one and need help just ask, pretty sure one of us can help you out.

One can always lower the roof with emergency lowering procedure.

I’ve been to Glastonbury five times in my Cali and never flattened the batteries. Don’t worry about it, you’ll be out and about having a great time rather than sitting in the van using your power.

Should have said on this subject ( sorry )

How about small non-fixed solar panel charging via 12v socket as described by @Loz elsewhere on this forum?

Will post link if can find it

Hi hotal California don't suppose you could do one of your excellent demonstrations one this subject. :thumb

I belive the procedure is written out by someone allready on the forum , it does include the part where you need to cut away some foam behind the control panel to get acces to the screw to release the pressure on the oil pump located behind the right hand sunvisor .

Just to add to the OP , if your lesure bats are flat and the starterbat is still OK there's problem , just start the engine and lower the roof .
As @Loz says , i always have my engine running when operating the roof , been to do so by CCN .

I always raise and lower the roof with the engine running.
Its the engine battery the powers the raising and lowering of the roof. If you’re off hookup while at Glastonbury just start your engine every day and run it for 5 minutes should be enough energies the leisure batteries. I agree, just to put less stress on you engine battery, start the engine before moving your roof every time

Its the engine battery the powers the raising and lowering of the roof. If you’re off hookup while at Glastonbury just start your engine every day and run it for 5 minutes should be enough energies the leisure batteries. I agree, just to put less stress on you engine battery, start the engine before moving your roof every time
Incorrect I'm afraid. The Leisure Batteries are used to power the roof Hydraulics. The Ignition has to be On as a safety feature to prevent inadvertent use of the Roof hydraulics. The engine doesn't have to be running but does save the Leisure Batteries.
When and if the roof hydraulics have to be repressurised, 10 hrs after last Ignition Off, and often in the middle of the night, then this is automatically done without Ignition On.

I belive the procedure is written out by someone allready on the forum , it does include the part where you need to cut away some foam behind the control panel to get acces to the screw to release the pressure on the oil pump located behind the right hand sunvisor .

Just to add to the OP , if your lesure bats are flat and the starterbat is still OK there's problem , just start the engine and lower the roof .
As @Loz says , i always have my engine running when operating the roof , been to do so by CCN .
Hotel , Thanks , will have a search for this topic.

Incorrect I'm afraid. The Leisure Batteries are used to power the roof Hydraulics. The Ignition has to be On as a safety feature to prevent inadvertent use of the Roof hydraulics. The engine doesn't have to be running but does save the Leisure Batteries.
When and if the roof hydraulics have to be repressurised, 10 hrs after last Ignition Off, and often in the middle of the night, then this is automatically done without Ignition On.
Without a fully charged engine battery the roof can’t be raised, I’ve had experience of this problem so explain

Personally I wouldn't do anything until ALL batteries are fully charged.
If you release pressure as described do you need to take vehicle to dealer for repair?
just a thought

Without a fully charged engine battery the roof can’t be raised, I’ve had experience of this problem so explain
The actual power for the Roof Hydraulic Pump comes from the Leisure Battery, But when raising or lowering the Ignition System must be active. This is a Safety Mechanism to prevent inadvertently lowering or raising the roof. If the Ignition Circuit cannot be activated then the roof mechanism is disabled.
10 hrs after Ignition Off, and every 10 hrs thereafter the Roof Hydraulic Pressure is checked and if it has dropped then the Hydraulic Pump is activated automatically. Ignition does not have to be On for this function as the Control Panel Computer is in Control and knows the Vehicle is stationary and that it is only re-pressuring the hydraulic circuit.
So, flat engine battery will disable the Roof Controls.

How about small non-fixed solar panel charging via 12v socket as described by @Loz elsewhere on this forum?

Will post link if can find it
Am I correct in thinking that a solar panel charging via a 12v socket only charges the engine battery ?

Last edited:
not if you plug into one of the sockets powered by the leisure battery

sorry can't find the thread but it described a small panel, attached to a controller plugged into leisure socket & had some useful technical info about safety etc.....

Edit...here's the thread:

:)
I’ve been to Glastonbury five times in my Cali and never flattened the batteries. Don’t worry about it, you’ll be out and about having a great time rather than sitting in the van using your power.
that's good to hear
:)

not if you plug into one of the sockets powered by the leisure battery

sorry can't find the thread but it described a small panel, attached to a controller plugged into leisure socket & had some useful technical info about safety etc.....

Edit...here's the thread:

interesting ok will look out too

ps...i'm not an auto-electrician & may have got it all wrong so hopefully someone with better understanding will confirm!

ps...i'm not an auto-electrician & may have got it all wrong so hopefully, someone with a better understanding will confirm!

yes, but depends on the power of the panel and whether you can recharge in the hours of daylight faster than the radio usage..

Last edited:
yes, but depends on the power of the panel and whether you can recharge in the hours of daylight raster than the radio usage..

fair point -- but would this be safe & oK in general (rather than this specific example)?

for example to top up leisure battery whilst out for the day ?