Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I fit 17" steel wheels to a van which originally had 16" steels?

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I know the opposite is not possible, fitting 16" wheels (with winter tires for example) to original 17" steel spec van, because of the size of the brake discs, but will the 17" steels fit an original 16" spec? Are there any drawbacks? Will it still pass technical inspection (both 16" and 17" are included on the door sticker listing correct tire air pressure)? Will the ride be noticeably harsher because the shorter sidewall has less ability to absorb shocks? Is the overall diameter the same, re: speedometer, cruise control, parking sensor height, auto-leveling bi-xenon headlights, etc.? I like the look of the 17 inchers and think it's possible they will react with more precise handling on curvy mountain roads, and always use steel because I'm off road a lot.

I think they are directly interchangeable. The sidewall on any 17" (the 215x60 or the 235x55) will be smaller than your 16"s, so the ride may be a bit harsher over bumps. Tyre pressure also makes a diff2to comfort over bumps and the 215x60s do have high pressures.

Yes. I have 17 inch davenports on my beach that came with 16inch Clayton's. Not a prob. The Van centre put them on from new.

I know the opposite is not possible, fitting 16" wheels (with winter tires for example) to original 17" steel spec van, because of the size of the brake discs, but will the 17" steels fit an original 16" spec? Are there any drawbacks? Will it still pass technical inspection (both 16" and 17" are included on the door sticker listing correct tire air pressure)? Will the ride be noticeably harsher because the shorter sidewall has less ability to absorb shocks? Is the overall diameter the same, re: speedometer, cruise control, parking sensor height, auto-leveling bi-xenon headlights, etc.? I like the look of the 17 inchers and think it's possible they will react with more precise handling on curvy mountain roads, and always use steel because I'm off road a lot.
Yes. Direct replacement. No adjusment required. You could still use a 16" spare as a get you to a garage spare.
Wether you will notice any difference is debatable.

Yes. I have 17 inch davenports on my beach that came with 16inch Clayton's. Not a prob. The Van centre put them on from new.
I have made the same change from 16" rims 215 tyres to 17" rims 235 tyres. There has been a noticeable increase in fuel consumption from 34.7 mpg average 15 June 2018 to 15 December 2018 to 30.8 mpg average 15 December 2018 to 15 August 2019.

I have made the same change from 16" rims 215 tyres to 17" rims 235 tyres. There has been a noticeable increase in fuel consumption from 34.7 mpg average 15 June 2018 to 15 December 2018 to 30.8 mpg average 15 December 2018 to 15 August 2019.
Good to know, thanks. I've learned a lot about how to use my Beach from your posts.

Looks like I'm staying with the 16"s, which among other advantages are cheaper to replace.

No problem going from 16" to 17" wheels as the overall diameter including the tyre is matched by using the lower profile tyres on 172 wheels.
You have the option of the van spec tyre of 215 width or the usual Cali 235.
17" wheels with the 215 tyre are usually cheaper than ones with 235s. simple supply and demand pricing.

secondhand 16" wheels with as new tyres are cheap as very little demand in this big wheel bling age.

Looks like I'm staying with the 16"s, which among other advantages are cheaper to replace.
Steady on there! You can often pick up brand new davenport (sometimes devonport) alloys with brand new tyres for around £500. Most of these come with the 215x60x17 Continental tyres, which are VERY fuel efficient. That's exactly the set up that comes with many 150hp Oceans.

What width are your current 16" tyres? And what pressure do you run them at? Those 215s run at close to 50psi....helping the consumption but hurting the ride.

This increased consumption noted by Amarillo is probably a combination of their greater width (235) and the associated lower pressures.

Steady on there! You can often pick up brand new davenport (sometimes devonport) alloys with brand new tyres for around £500. Most of these come with the 215x60x17 Continental tyres, which are VERY fuel efficient. That's exactly the set up that comes with many 150hp Oceans.

What width are your current 16" tyres? And what pressure do you run them at? Those 215s run at close to 50psi....helping the consumption but hurting the ride.

This increased consumption noted by Amarillo is probably a combination of their greater width (235) and the associated lower pressures.
Just put 18s on it and admire the looks.

215/65R 16C. Tire pressure is whatever is on the door sticker for fully loaded, which is usually my case. I think it's 48psi, but I'll check. Just a reminder, I only use steel wheels, tougher for offroad.

Just a reminder, I only use steel wheels, tougher for offroad.
Ah. OK.
But you can also pick up sets with the 17" steels shown by Sandyvan for about £500 (New heels, new tyres.. Well 2 miles). I got a set myself.

Ah. OK.
But you can also pick up sets with the 17" steels shown by Sandyvan for about £500 (New heels, new tyres.. Well 2 miles). I got a set myself.
There use to be a dude selling them for £400 on the T4/5 Forum. He got them from the company that converts standard vans to Sportlines for VW. They come into the country as standard T32s I think and are taken to a unit to be converted into SLs so the steel rims are surplus.

No problem going from 16" to 17" wheels as the overall diameter including the tyre is matched by using the lower profile tyres on 172 wheels.
You have the option of the van spec tyre of 215 width or the usual Cali 235.
17" wheels with the 215 tyre are usually cheaper than ones with 235s. simple supply and demand pricing.

secondhand 16" wheels with as new tyres are cheap as very little demand in this big wheel bling age.
Ah. OK.
215s or 235s? I have a feeling that the 235s are more expensive, but after Tom's comment about the reduced fuel economy, I would probably stay with 215s. I will take a look since this fall I will have to replace my current setup with all-season, probably Michelin CrossClimate, and I don't imagine there are very many 17" steels with all-season tires on the second hand market.

There use to be a dude selling them for £400 on the T4/5 Forum. He got them from the company that converts standard vans to Sportlines for VW. They come into the country as standard T32s I think and are taken to a unit to be converted into SLs so the steel rims are surplus.
Thanks, very helpful, I'll take a look.

215s or 235s? I have a feeling that the 235s are more expensive, but after Tom's comment about the reduced fuel economy, I would probably stay with 215s. I will take a look since this fall I will have to replace my current setup with all-season, probably Michelin CrossClimate, and I don't imagine there are very many 17" steels with all-season tires on the second hand market.
The wheels I have just posted about came with 195s M&S I seem to recall.

Thanks, very helpful, I'll take a look.
I will try and find him, I bought a set, removed the tyres and sold them, then had the rims banded but unfortunately the sliding door would not pass the rear O/S rim so I sold the rims. I could not get a definite answer so had to try it for myself. Did not lose financially but could have done without the effort. It would have looked sweet though.

That doesn't seem to be a size certified for my 7 seater, but I get the point, if I take a look I might find just what I need. Thanks for the heads-up.

The Tyres were below, I'm still looking for the guy that sell the rims, or used to.

Goodyear M+S 215/60/17
Cargo Vector 2
109/107T

Then in a circle 104H,

It was a few years ago but you never know, I hope you get sorted.