Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Canvas cleaning...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Have looked around the posts on here for anything related to cleaning the canvas from the poptop.
Seems mixed ideas on what should/shouldn't do with the canvas.

Are there any definitive rules then for cleaning the canvas - can it be done? And if so whats the best method?

Ours is just looking a bit shabby, but otherwise is in generally good condition - just thought it would be nice to spruce it up, or is this one of those "if it ain't broke" situations...?

Cheers!

I did mine a few weeks ago. Bucket of warm water with washing up liquid and a kitchen sponge / scourer. It made a massive difference and my canvas looks do much better

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Probably worth re-proofing it too if you use washing-up liquid to clean it. Makes a great job of cleaning away the contaminants, but strips out the good stuff that helps keep the water at bay. Most canvas re-proofing treatments can be sprayed on or applied with a cloth. A pretty simple job that will improve the performance of the canvas and prolong its life.

Have looked around the posts on here for anything related to cleaning the canvas from the poptop.
Seems mixed ideas on what should/shouldn't do with the canvas.

Are there any definitive rules then for cleaning the canvas - can it be done? And if so whats the best method?

Ours is just looking a bit shabby, but otherwise is in generally good condition - just thought it would be nice to spruce it up, or is this one of those "if it ain't broke" situations...?

Cheers!

http://www.belltent.co.uk/nikwax_tech_wash_and_cotton_proof

Works well and retains Waterproof properties.

As WG suggests or natural soap flakes.
For a good result, remove it and chuck it in the washing machine. Low temp obvs.

Let us know how that works out

(I have been drinking at this point......)

Yes I re-proofed after cleaning. Not sure how waterproof it would be; probably just help in a shower

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

As WG suggests or natural soap flakes.
For a good result, remove it and chuck it in the washing machine. Low temp obvs.

Let us know how that works out

(I have been drinking at this point......)
I tried that, but the gas struts wouldn't fit in the washing machine... :bananadance

Back