Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car Stereo on EHU

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’ve finally treated our Cali to weekend of charge on EHU. I gather this also charges the starter battery. Does this mean you can safely use the car stereo for longer without the risk of a flat battery? I didn’t dare risk this!

We’ve finally treated our Cali to weekend of charge on EHU. I gather this also charges the starter battery. Does this mean you can safely use the car stereo for longer without the risk of a flat battery? I didn’t dare risk this!
There’s been some debate as to whether the starter battery is on charge when on hook up. If it is, the amount of charge is minimal. I don’t risk using the radio for long periods when not driving , anyway it’s a pain in the arse as it turns off after 30 minutes.

According to VW it doesn't, but according to my voltmeter it will trickle charge the engine battery if the Leisure Batteries are full. Whether by design or a fault I dont know, but it works on mine.

There’s been some debate as to whether the starter battery is on charge when on hook up. If it is, the amount of charge is minimal. I don’t risk using the radio for long periods when not driving , anyway it’s a pain in the arse as it turns off after 30 minutes.
If the leisure batteries are fully charged, then the charger splits to the starter battery, but indeed, I would not be sure if you won't drain that battery if you are listening too long.
As for the 30 minutes, on my RCD310 I managed to change the on duration to 199 minutes.

If the leisure batteries are fully charged, then the charger splits to the starter battery, but indeed, I would not be sure if you won't drain that battery if you are listening too long.
As for the 30 minutes, on my RCD310 I managed to change the on duration to 199 minutes.
How did you change the duration?

Reactions: JAD
With VasPC at the time. Somewhere in settings of the radio (number 56 = radio). Can't recall what channel I changed, but I found one channel that gave me the number 30. I first changed it to 1 and after 1 minute the radio went out. So I put in 9999 but it said that the maximum number was 199, and 199 minutes is... a long time ;).