Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carbon monoxide when driving?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I popped to the shops the other day and heard a loud beeping coming from the dash. Initially thought it was some sort of engine warning but no warning lights were displayed.

Then realised it was the CO detector that I'd left in the top passenger glove box. Anyone had anything similar happen? Not sure if the detector is faulty or if it is possible for fumes to build up in the glove box.

The only way to get it to stop was to open the window and hold it in the draught.

Hmmm, CO is a killer, see what happens in future and get it checked out.

Could just be from the dash plastics especially as in a virtually air tight glovebox..
Sun coming in through windscreen would make plastics more 'fumey'

I've fixed mine on wardrobe side above the seat/bed area.

Has your glove box got the air con vent inside?
Air may be coming in through that, but concerned where the source is?

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about fitting a CO2 alarm, to my 'on order' Cali. But I should as I was poisoned by CO2 some years ago, and someone in a room nearby died as a result... long story, but a reminder I should fit one to the van... thanks

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about fitting a CO2 alarm, to my 'on order' Cali. But I should as I was poisoned by CO2 some years ago, and someone in a room nearby died as a result... long story, but a reminder I should fit one to the van... thanks
Not CO2 - Carbon Dioxide - what you breath out.

CO - Carbon MONOXIDE - poisonous and normally from Incomplete combustion and in a California more likely from the gas burners than the Diesel Parking Heater. So ventilation when cooking important.

My converter fitted one FOC. Was pleased. Same one is on sale in Costco for about £8 so defo something to do if you don't have one.

Pulled out all the stops then

Ha, ha, just saying it's not an expensive thing, so if you haven't got one, no excuse. It's a perfectly legit device, think cheaper in Costco but I haven't checked.

I liked my converter as he has his pricelist on his website & the spec arrived in a spreadsheet. No room for haggling, so yes, the CO monitor pleased me! Plus nice to see safety considered...

I popped to the shops the other day and heard a loud beeping coming from the dash. Initially thought it was some sort of engine warning but no warning lights were displayed.

Then realised it was the CO detector that I'd left in the top passenger glove box. Anyone had anything similar happen? Not sure if the detector is faulty or if it is possible for fumes to build up in the glove box.

The only way to get it to stop was to open the window and hold it in the draught.
Ours was central on dash and had a similar issue when the alarm got hot with the sun. Have moved it, changed the batteries and all seems well.

Alarms can be set off by hydrogen (batteries can give this off) but its always worth getting it checked out. Also check your CO alarm is suitable for travelling.

We had something like this in an old van and it was an exhaust issue leaking gas into the cab in slow traffic. That alarm possibly saved our lives...

Back