Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CarPlay or Android Auto vs Discover Media Nav (T6)

I have Discovery Media in my Touran and have ordered it on our new Cali. At first I wasn't that impressed but then I found the split screen option in the view menu. This transforms it in my view. It reveals the frequent trip option that allows you to follow your frequent routes without announcements but then kicks in if there is a major traffic issue or you need to divert. It gives you a much more detailed view at junctions. It gives a list of your next few turns with time estimates and on the motorway the distance/time to the next services.

So if you have not tried it select the split screen option.

The map updates are free for the life of the vehicle and are provided by Here who also provide the map data for Garmin. I've had two updates in the year I've owned the Touran.

I now prefer it to Google maps and with the online POI feature you also get the benefit of Google search.

It is perfect.....no. Is it worth the expense? I think so when you see the cost of adding in the other feature that come with it like voice commend and app connect. I also like the cable free dash it gives me too. So I am looking for to my new Cali having it.

How do people find the position of it on the dash? Seems like it could be prone to sunlight.
Position is fine. I'll have a look at the split screen options. Big + is having the turns in the MFD in front of you with the road name number. Found it useful in Spain where some of the junctions are to say the least, interesting.

Mike

I have had factory nav in most of our previous vehicles, but never use them as they are always out of date and a pain to get upgraded.
Have always had a tomtom, but now that apple maps uses the tomtom data have been using that instead.
The only issue with these app connect solutions is the lack of offline maps as they need to have a data connection to work.
If only tomtom go was to become a supported CarPlay app that would be perfect for me.
You can download Google maps offline. I have most of the UK. Using voice to select destination doesn't work but if you select the route before you connect, it will be able to plot a course.

.. Me..

You can download Google maps offline. I have most of the UK. Using voice to select destination doesn't work but if you select the route before you connect, it will be able to plot a course.

.. Me..
Yes I have tried the google maps download, but google maps is not a CarPlay app.

Tried maps on CarPlay/ Android auto in France recently to compare route through Lyon. Good when there is reception. Pants when not. Feature of the VW sat nav We relied on a lot was speed limit display - a vital aid given the lack of speed signage entering and leaving towns/villages. Not so vital in Uk, to be fair.

With the new Apple IOS 12 update CarPlay maps now show the current Speed limit.

I always use CarPlay even though I have built in SatNav in both the Cali & Golf

Yes I have tried the google maps download, but google maps is not a CarPlay app.

I was tired and haven't read the posts correctly.

.. message ends..

Last edited:
Just for info only I’ve noticed on apple maps after upgrading to iOS 11 you now get the speed limit of the road,which is a nice touch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The speed limits are very out of date though, we live in a 20mph speed limit and it has been in place for 3 years. Apple maps still displays 30mph!

The speed limits are very out of date though, we live in a 20mph speed limit and it has been in place for 3 years. Apple maps still displays 30mph!
have a look at mapshare.tomtom.com and you can post an update/correction.

Back