Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CFCA 180 bi turbo EGR engine problems.

I can certainly empathise with any 180 owner that goes down this route. I’m on the newer 204 bi-turbo and so far no issues and approaching 70k miles. I just think that the technology associated with making diesel engines cleaner (EGR, Adblue, stop start etc) inherently bakes in complexity and failure points in any engine irrespective of the manufacturer. The days of diesel engines doing a million miles no matter how well looked after are long gone.

There’s a reason that most people that venture into less developed countries usually do it in an old Landy or Toyota. I suspect the most bombproof modern diesel engine in the BMW 3 litre which I guess is why Ineos chose it for the Grenadier.

Agree. We had a BMW 530 touring. They had an issue with swirl flaps (fitted for emissions purposes), the pins on the flaps would eventually fail and the metal flap would drop off and go straight into the engine. So the fix was have the flaps removed and fit blanking plates.

Last edited:
I’m driving a 335d touring approaching its 6 year birthday.
Incredible engine and not a single issue so far.

Unfortunately, BMW have now killed off this engine for the UK market, as of a few month's ago…:sad

Back