Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Climate control rear panel sticking control buttons

Corgimajor

Corgimajor

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Read with interest @Musket and others experience with the sticking control buttons on the rear passenger climate control panel on another recent post ("First Week - Is this right?). I've just checked mine and both the heat increasing and fan speed increasing buttons are stuck in their depressed position. We've owned our van just over 12 months (MY 2022) and have wondered why everytime we start the van, the fan in the back blasts on full. We hit the "sync" button and it solves the problem. That said I would like to correct this problem.

Have others who have experienced the same problem with this control panel's buttons got them fixed under warranty and if so what was the fix - a new control panel?

Also, we purchased our van from new from SMG on 1st November 2022, we never purchased any extended warranty, so I was curious would this control panel be renewed under VW's warranty (i.e. after 12 months have elapsed)? I will consult with the dealer, but I'd welcome views from forum members.

Read with interest @Musket and others experience with the sticking control buttons on the rear passenger climate control panel on another recent post ("First Week - Is this right?). I've just checked mine and both the heat increasing and fan speed increasing buttons are stuck in their depressed position. We've owned our van just over 12 months (MY 2022) and have wondered why everytime we start the van, the fan in the back blasts on full. We hit the "sync" button and it solves the problem. That said I would like to correct this problem.

Have others who have experienced the same problem with this control panel's buttons got them fixed under warranty and if so what was the fix - a new control panel?

Also, we purchased our van from new from SMG on 1st November 2022, we never purchased any extended warranty, so I was curious would this control panel be renewed under VW's warranty (i.e. after 12 months have elapsed)? I will consult with the dealer, but I'd welcome views from forum members.
Warranty fix and you have a 3 yr Warranty from 1st registration.

Got it fixed under warranty 2 years ago too. Had to wait for almost 3 months since the panel was on backorder back then. After the dealer had looked at it and confirmed a warranty fix, I did apply a tiny bit of contact spray which actually solved the problem until the fix was executed by VW.

On a side note:
Unbelievable that vw is unable to get this corrected from the factory it seems: i have MY21, produced end of ‘20 so almost 3 years ago, and still the same issue is being reported…

Bought Jan 2024 Ocean. Feb 2024 first passenger in the back to operate rear air con. Once he got out blower permanent on high, even when switching it off. Thanks to the forum found the sticking button issue. Eased it out with thin knife blade and now seems to be working OK. So VW still not really fixed it

Had the same issue with mine (delivered Oct 22), as don't often have people in the back stuck (pardon the pun) with it but got it replaced along with a broken cupboard handle last month.

We have now discovered a similar issue with our new '23 Ocean. It's a new to us issue, discovered today during our first proper trip to Germany. On our van, everytime we start the rear control goes into 'Auto' and 'Hi", so blasts hot air. It can be switched off, but everytime we restart the van it goes back to this default setting, and the 'sync' button does not help. Everything else seems to be working fine thus far.

What's worked for me in the past is to detach the rear control unit and loosen the torx screws on the back. They seem to be too tight and it makes the buttons stick.

What's worked for me in the past is to detach the rear control unit and loosen the torx screws on the back. They seem to be too tight and it makes the buttons stick.
Thank you @Soton Campers , is it easy to 'detach the rear control' please? Does it just clip out with a trim tool?

My button is sticky too.

Also have the same problem - I popped the buttons back out with a penknife but the top ones on each side stay stuck in when pressed. I’ll try the suggestion above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have now discovered a similar issue with our new '23 Ocean. It's a new to us issue, discovered today during our first proper trip to Germany. On our van, everytime we start the rear control goes into 'Auto' and 'Hi", so blasts hot air. It can be switched off, but everytime we restart the van it goes back to this default setting, and the 'sync' button does not help. Everything else seems to be working fine thus far.
I’ve had this issue and my buttons don’t stick. I wonder if this is a different issue? Doesn’t happen every time either. In fact seems to happen when reversing the most - something to do with air recirculating maybe as I know older VAG cars automatically engage that when in reverse

I have this issue and have it booked in to fix under warranty. I actually think in line it is not the control panel or buttons which are the issue. I believe the trim surround is too tight and there is no room for the buttons to return to normal position.

Yes I have this issue rear buttons stick Stanley blade just pops back out
but will take it in on first service plus leaking pop top

I have this issue and have it booked in to fix under warranty. I actually think in line it is not the control panel or buttons which are the issue. I believe the trim surround is too tight and there is no room for the buttons to return to normal position.
I took mine out as I made the same assumption, once I released the unit from the trim I could see that the high temp button stuck one it was pressed and was not going to release. I brought it into the service team at VW and they asked be to refit it and they would then set up a warranty service to 'test' the unit. In the meantime they would order a replacement part so Im just waiting for my service and they will replace the unit for me. It has been like that since the first day I collected the vehicle and it took me a while to figure out why the fan and temp in the back kept going up, until I got the synch button working. Im surprised this was not picked up on the psi as it occurred every time I started the engine.

Same I took mine in to be looked at when I had the bellows replaced. They have ordered a new unit for the back climate control. It’s on back order and expected in a couple of months.

I have the same issue on a MY2022 and waiting for replacement unit to come in. Both the high temp and high fan stick in on the control unit. A bit of a pain to un-jam them each time they get poked.

I have the same problem with mine, button stuck in. Sounds like a common fault, will pop into local dealer and hopefully they will order a new unit under warranty.

I have the same problem with mine, button stuck in. Sounds like a common fault, will pop into local dealer and hopefully they will order a new unit under warranty.
Mine sticks too. Does anyone have the part number for a MY2023 Ocean? I might see if my dealer will get one in advance.

Back