Club shop v's Brandrup Carpets

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 Beach
well i can assure you that the shop does not have the luxury of a 50% mark up. it is a small business that is always busy if they started taking back free returns maybe their sales would increase but so would their wages bill dealing with the returns.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I would disagree based entirely on my own experiences. Most online retailers I choose to buy from will have a free returns policy. In fact, I regularly choose online retailers based on whether they have a free returns policy or not. 70-80% of online transactions I make are based on this process.I am a prodigious online shopper in fact, I rarely purchase goods in store any more

A very good friend of mine is UK director of a huge outdoor retailer. They have a "bricks and clicks" business. Since offering free returns they have seen sales increase by as much as 20%. His experiences have told me many businesses have a 50% mark up

Would I pay a shoe shop £10 to £15 to try on shoes before buying them? I would not. Ergo, why should I pay the cost of returning goods every time.

My caveat above is "every time".

Now and again I might make a poor online purchase and decide to return it. In which case, if it is down to my own mistake I'll pay the return costs. As an example, I recently purchased a set of Bilstein B14 coil over springs. I need to return them because I undertook insufficient research before making the purchase. If I fit them they invalidate my warranty. I am therefore happy to pay return costs on that purchase. It was my own stupidity so I should pay return costs.

This situation however is different. To be able to make an informed decision I need to make a comparison due to insufficient descriptors on the web site. I would have purchased one set; whether the dearer ones or not.

This would be a massive help
So you buy your shoes on line and return the ones you don't like? I normally visit the shop and try them on.
If a firm has a free returns policy then you the purchaser are paying for that within the purchase price so those that don't return the item are just adding a windfall to the sellers profit line.
Just the same as " Free Postage ", its already included in the price and very rarely is a rebate offered for the purchaser to collect.

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
If a firm has a free returns policy then you the purchaser are paying for that within the purchase price so those that don't return the item are just adding a windfall to the sellers profit line.
Just the same as " Free Postage ", its already included in the price and very rarely is a rebate offered for the purchaser to collect.
Not necessarily and it's a sweeping generalisation. If they are a "clicks only" eCommerce organisation there is no requirement for large premises to store products, [they can order direct from the supplier and get delivered to your door. They eCommerce business won't even see the goods]. They will have reduced utility bills and reduced staff wages etc. The list can go on. Comparing prices in a "bricks" only organisation with a "clicks" only one is not a fair test anyway due to the reduced overheads

All of this is a moot point. I have found an online retailer willing to send me two sets of carpets for me to compare against.

I'll create a comparison video like 2into1 has already kindly done

After reading numerous threads on this forum, I have no doubt I will choose the Brandrup ones anyway

Cheers

GreggB

GreggB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
After reading numerous threads on this forum, I have no doubt I will choose the Brandrup ones anyway

Cheers
So why waste someone’s time ordering an item you intend to return? Sounds like have done plenty of research so it should be obvious the Brandrup carpets will be far superior quality and the price does not seem to be an issue to you.

Regarding the club shop, it is a relatively small set up with a small target market so I suspect free returns would place a huge burden on it, especially as most items they sell a quite bulky, and lead to price increases.

For the record, I have the club shop mats and find for the price they are very good, not perfect and I’m sure Brandrup ones would be far superior, but I couldn’t justify that amount of money on something my kids might be sick on or spill drinks over.

T6Beach

T6Beach

VIP Member
So why waste someone’s time ordering an item you intend to return? Sounds like have done plenty of research so it should be obvious the Brandrup carpets will be far superior quality and the price does not seem to be an issue to you.

Regarding the club shop, it is a relatively small set up with a small target market so I suspect free returns would place a huge burden on it, especially as most items they sell a quite bulky, and lead to price increases.

For the record, I have the club shop mats and find for the price they are very good, not perfect and I’m sure Brandrup ones would be far superior, but I couldn’t justify that amount of money on something my kids might be sick on or spill drinks over.

I could not agree more, I also run a small business with an online store and if I offered free returns for people to try items out I would go out of busines. Fair enough that big companies can offer this as they will just build it into their price, saying that even Amazon only offer free returns if an item is faulty, if you just don't like it you have to pay to send it back.

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi @DrJuanKerr and others

Consumer Contracts Regulations (2013) replaces what was previously the Distance Selling Regulations.

As a consumer, buying over internet etc, you have the right to return goods without giving a reason. This is UK/EU law.

Therefore if you buy something over the internet you have the right to return it and get a refund.

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Therefore an online retailer cannot refuse you a refund for a product you don't want (within a certain time limit but minimum = 14 days).

This rule applies to small businesses as well as large companies as Amazon.

-----------------------------------------------

Text from UK.gov website

Right to cancel

You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after their order is delivered. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, they can cancel at any time in the next 12 months. If you tell them about the right to cancel during these 12 months, they have 14 days to cancel from when you told them.

Last edited:
Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi @DrJuanKerr and others

Consumer Contracts Regulations (2013) replaces what was previously the Distance Selling Regulations.

As a consumer, buying over internet etc, you have the right to return goods without giving a reason. This is UK/EU law.

Therefore if you buy something over the internet you have the right to return it and get a refund.

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Therefore an online retailer cannot refuse you a refund for a product you don't want (within a certain time limit but minimum = 14 days).

This rule applies to small businesses as well as large companies as Amazon.

-----------------------------------------------

Text from UK.gov website

Right to cancel

You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after their order is delivered. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling.

If you don’t tell the customer about their right to cancel, they can cancel at any time in the next 12 months. If you tell them about the right to cancel during these 12 months, they have 14 days to cancel from when you told them.

You are right but if the item is just unwanted you have to pay to return it to the retailer which is fair in my opinion

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You are right but if the item is just unwanted you have to pay to return it to the retailer which is fair in my opinion
You don't "have to pay" to return the items. That's down to the sellers terms and conditions. If, in their T's and C's it states, "buyer to cover cost of return delivery if goods are unwanted" you do, else, you don't.

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Whether it's the clubs mats or Brandrup all I can say is steer clear of QTM they are utter rubbish and should be done for using the description 'Deluxe' Cheap nasty mats..

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can I steer the conversation back to carpets? We bought some carpets for our T5 . I got them, I think, from Comfort and ordered the medium quality. They looked great once fitted but pulling the lower level bed forward at night became very difficult. In the end my wife asked me to do it and even then it was a struggle.!
So we have taken them out, except in the cab, and put two small Wilkinson mats in, they are 50 cm wide and fit perfectly. Cheap and they can be moved easily at night or thrown away if they get grubby and replaced cheaply,
This is camping after all, not luxury housing!