Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cobb + Swedish Fire Torch = Open Fire?

podge

podge

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We’re in two minds over this and cannot find a definitive definition of “an open fire” so this could be one of those really stupid questions, but…

…would this be considered an open fire in anyone’s opinion?

The cobb is cool to touch at the base when lit for cooking purposes and I think this particular Swedish log is too big for the Cobb. We’ve not burned one before to know it’s burning properties so aren’t going to light this one on site, and will test at home first.

(You can buy these Swedish Fire Torches at Dobbies garden centres for £4 each)

The site we are at has a no open fire policy, and is not in a wooden area.

Swedish Fire Torch demo

e4e7d9ceca7f8091ab1919fdf4dafb65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it’s a definite no. The other campers who can’t have open fires are likely blow the whistle on you…

But no harm in asking the site in advance.

Yeah, am not sure about being dobbed in when seeing marks like this everywhere and knowing the Cobb wouldn’t do that when in cooking mode.

May go and ask at the site office tomorrow morning if we have time

9f5ca72da247eec6a0e2f854ee1a2044.jpg

looks like an open fire to me.

Yeah, am not sure about being dobbed in when seeing marks like this everywhere and knowing the Cobb wouldn’t do that when in cooking mode.

May go and ask at the site office tomorrow morning if we have time

9f5ca72da247eec6a0e2f854ee1a2044.jpg

+ It will be all the kids saying “can we have a fire tonight”, “it’s not allowed”….”but they have got one”….

It’s a definite no from me unless you want to melt the plastic ring. Not cheap to replace and a right pain too.

The only time, in my opinion, you can use wood on the Cobb is when using a storm kettle, like a kellie or ghillie (probably the Cobb kettle too, but don’t have one so don’t know if it works).

I love my Kellie kettle and if we take the Cobb use it as a base for the kettle, the fire is contained in the chimney and you just have to check that you build up too much as to block air flow. Many sites don’t even like you doing that though.

Back