Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete campervan beginner - confused by batteries!

S

Sian

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After years of my trusty tent I have finally bought a 2010 facelift Cali SE.

I have had a habitation check done and the place I took it to were completely clueless!

The batteries I can charge up to 100% but within 24 hours they will read 60 - 50% on the computer. If I drive even for a couple of miles it will then instantly say 100% again but if I was to plug in it will gradually increase overtime.

The draw always reads -0.2 or 0.0 on the screen when stationary and the batteries are reading 12.4v and apparently the garage confirmed the batteries are reading 12.4.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why the battery is discharging - I have checked everything is off? Or where I should take it for battery related problems? My local VW garage were no help and the local motorhome centre were completely clueless on all things california!

Self discharging batteries are worn out. Probably cheapest to just try and replace them.

If your batteries are not well mantained by the previous owner ( frequent on hook-up ) it could well be they need replacement .

Edit : Kave beat me with a split second:D

btw....WELCOME!

Another tip , ask here on the forum where your nearby VW dealer is with Cali-knowledge as you would not let just anyone mess arround with your Cali.
Me beeing from outside the UK can not help you on thatone exept advising the forumsponsor!

Thank you guys. This is what I asked the place that did the habitation service as it seemed the most obvious solution to me but they said since they were reading 12.4v it meant they were fine and not a problem?!
So first thing I will do is replace the batteries as I do not think they have ever been changed (no record in any of the well kept paperwork) - but through trawling this forum I have read lots of things about earth shunts - does this sound possibly typical of an earth shunt?

Ok
1. You should have 3 batteries.
2. 1 battery under the bonnet for ALL things engine only.
3. 2 Leisure Batteries, 1 under passenger seat and the other is under the wardrobe. Looking forward from the boot, L side, removable panel to give access.
4. Both Leisure Batteries should be the same type.
5. The mains charger should charge both Leisure Batteries and also trickle charge the engine battery on later model years. I don't know about 2010.
6. Alternator charges all 3 batteries but WILlNOT fully charge the Leisure Batteries, only to about 80-90%.
7. The Control panel readings are not that accurate.
8. Only way to full charge Leisure Batteries is via mains charger. Full charged should be 12.7 v on Panel
9. Leisure Batteries should be charged for about 24 hours, can be more, every month regardless.

If yours have been mistreated, ie: allowed below 50% for extended periods then they might need replacing. BOTH should be replaced.

A good Auto Electrician or a Battery retailer should be able to check them out.

The 0-0.2amp current draw on the Control Panel is the Control panel consumption.

I believe it was rectified on the 2010 facelift. What colour is the van it might be my old one

Thank you for that information Welshgas, and Calikev it is blue reg starts A010

Do the fridge and diesel heater work OK? If the voltage is low then neither will turn on. If they are working then try leaving them on and see how long they run for. Sometimes if the batteries haven't been used for a while a "wake up" by using them will help.

Not my old one. Lol. I would plug the van in at home for at least 24 hrs to give them a chance to fully charge

I have done this twice (haven't had the van long and have not camped in it yet - just daily drive) the first time I charged for 48 hours and it reached 100% then dropped to 50% when I checked 2days later. The second time was 2 days ago - I charged for almost 24hours and the battery reached 90% but was down to 70% within 8hours!

I would see how long they run the fridge or heater for before they shut down
This will give you a good indication. I think the batteries could have reached the end of their life after 6 years

briwy the fridge and diesel heating do work - but I have only turned on to check they turn on and not used for any length of time. With the diesel heater as well I have only turned on with engine on not just off batteries.

I had not thought to see how long they run for, thank you for that tip. I shall try that tomorrow and see what happens!

5 yrs is a reasonable life for a battery, they're consumables after all. You can get pairs of leisure batteries on ebay for £170 delivered. Search the forum for a link.

If your batteries are not well mantained by the previous owner (frequent on hook-up) it could well be they need replacement
Did you really mean that?
Frequently on hook-up is a good thing because it keeps the leisure batteries fully charged.

Did you really mean that?
Frequently on hook-up is a good thing because it keeps the leisure batteries fully charged.
" Lost in Translation "
I think what " Hotel California " meant is if the previous owner had NOT maintained the batteries ( i.e.: frequently on hook-up ) then they could need replacement.:thumb

" Lost in Translation "
I think what " Hotel California " meant is if the previous owner had NOT maintained the batteries ( i.e.: frequently on hook-up ) then they could need replacement.:thumb

Exact , was i not clear ...i need to take English lessons!

Hi,
I am a newbie to to the Cali scene, but have dealt with batteries before in a past life.
If the have been mistreated by lack of use then they coul be shot at 5 years. But all may not be lost.
Briwy suggested to use, do to wake up... If you have a charger that has a trickle or maintainance mode. Then leave in this for a while.
So cycle them a few times... Put a load on, don't got more than 50% flat and then trickle them back up.... Try a few cycles....
I hope it helps...

These batteries have had it for sure! Wake them up by using them??? I've never heard such drivel!

Hmmm seems everything is available on this forum, including rudeness.

Really helpful.

Maybe the term used "wake them up" by Briwy was not the most technical, but I, as I am sure many others understood his meaning.
Batteries not cycled for a period of time can go into a capacitive state and appear to be shot on first use. To repeat cycle will get the best from them. I agree, if they have been abused, not as good as they should be, but if not shot, they could still be useable and have an acceptable life left.

This suggestion, like the other postings is merely an attempt to help... May, may not work, but costs nothing to try.....

Really helpful.

Maybe the term used "wake them up" by Briwy was not the most technical, but I, as I am sure many others understood his meaning.
Batteries not cycled for a period of time can go into a capacitive state and appear to be shot on first use. To repeat cycle will get the best from them. I agree, if they have been abused, not as good as they should be, but if not shot, they could still be useable and have an acceptable life left.

This suggestion, like the other postings is merely an attempt to help... May, may not work, but costs nothing to try.....

Do not take things to much as a personal attack , some have a diffrent approch on things and the way things are brought to words .....
I have to keep myself also within some restrictions sometimes typing a reply, not meaning to be rude , just straight forward.
We all are here trying to help each in their own way , try to pick up the positive things;)
As for me , i have to deal with the diffrent of language , i had to use google translate to know what "such drivel" was standing for....:D
Don't blame him for saying that , he has got a point.
Batteries need to be used or maintained by a charger if not used.
Cheers!

Really helpful.

The OP has already stated that she has tried cycling the batteries to no avail. Posting eronious information is helpful to no one
Sorry but I am straight talking and I apologise if you found my approach rude.

The OP has already stated that she has tried cycling the batteries to no avail. Posting eronious information is helpful to no one
Sorry but I am straight talking and I apologise if you found my approach rude.

Did you mean "erroneous" ?

Yesterday I fitted a replacement leisure battery to our 2001 California. Unlike with more recent models, ours is a single 120 amp/hr gel battery which was an eye-watering £299.95, after discount (!). Whilst a big expense, I cannot complain as we have owned the van since October 2007 and not previously replaced it. In fact, looking at the old Varta leisure battery, it could well be the original leisure battery. Not bad going! The discussions on here about longevity and use has interested me as we use our van extensively throughout the year, mostly, but not always, on hook-up ( usually at shows). I have a trio of solar panels for such occasions to keep the battery topped up. (our longest stay in the van is 3 winter months in Spain and the Algarve! - (recommended!).

I do keep our battery topped up via the mains and also use the van as my daily driver so I suspect that has helped battery longevity.. The first test of the new battery is this weekend as we have a hook-up-free overnight stay after a Valentine meal. Stay warm, folks and get out there!

I'm trying hard to understand the posts about keeping batteries charged. I have no problems in summer when I'm camping and driving I also have a large solar panel. My question is would a trickle charger be sufficient to charge the batteries when the VW is in storage indoors for five months?. There is no storage facility available with electric hook up and the Cali will be stationary while I'm in Asia each year
Thanks for any advice
Aileenonroad

I'm trying hard to understand the posts about keeping batteries charged. I have no problems in summer when I'm camping and driving I also have a large solar panel. My question is would a trickle charger be sufficient to charge the batteries when the VW is in storage indoors for five months?. There is no storage facility available with electric hook up and the Cali will be stationary while I'm in Asia each year
Thanks for any advice
Aileenonroad
A trickle charger will be fine. But if you don't have mains electricity then how will you be able to use a Trickle Charger?
If you mean you don't have the Blue Hook-up socket to plug your lead into BUT you do have a standard mains electrical socket then just get an adapter lead made up.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 07.53.15.jpg
Available from Forum Shop.

Last edited:
Back