Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control display of?

P

Passatwind

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello there Cali lovers,

Many of my 12 volt things no longer work.
It started that I had to keep resetting the clock in the control display, but now, for example, the tap and the refrigerator no longer work.
I have checked all fuses and they are all good and I measure 12 volts on all fuses.
Is there some kind of main fuse somewhere that provides extra protection for the 12 volts?
I've been having a lot of trouble with my sliding door (see my other post) and now I have this on top of that.
Does anyone of you know what exactly the relay in the attached photo does? I suspect this is also the problem with the 12 volts because it was very hot.

Thanks you allRelais.jpeg

Well based on the size of those terminals I’d say it’s battery related. Something to do with split charge system?

Given that you’ve been trying, without success, to fix your electric issues for weeks now, why don’t you just find someone who knows what they’re doing?

Do you not mean "everything is starting to not work" - everything on the van is 12V.

The relay pictured is the split charge relay, it is what the van uses to connect the leisures to the alternator charging system when you are driving to top them up. It will get "Warm" as it's chucking a few amps through it to charge the leisures, but should not get hot if the cables are the right thickness.

It is unlikely to be causing your problem.

As SP says, likely time to find a good VW Sparky.

Hello there Cali lovers,

It started that I had to keep resetting the clock in the control display, but now, for example, the tap and the refrigerator no longer work.
I have checked all fuses and they are all good and I measure 12 volts on all fuses.
Is there some kind of main fuse somewhere that provides extra protection for the 12 volts?
I've been having a lot of trouble with my sliding door (see my other post) and now I have this on top of that.
Does anyone of you know what exactly the relay in the attached photo does? I suspect this is also the problem with the 12 volts because it was very hot.

Thanks you allView attachment 123936
When you say 12V what exact voltage are you measuring, including the bit after decimal point.

Hello there Cali lovers,

Thanks you allView attachment 123936
Believe it's the split charge relay and the answer to your question can be found in the two threads below. I have no knowledge of this. The information comes from older posts by @Roger Donoghue and @sidepod. I'm just good at searching. Links to the 2 threads are belows. (Hoop dat dit helpt)

"There is a relay under the passenger seat that is energised when the engine is running, connecting the starter battery to the leissure battery/s so they are charged whilst the engine runs."

""The split charge relay works by taking a signal from the alternator to control the relay.

When the engine is running the split charge relay pulls in and connects both starter battery and leisure batteries to the alternator output allowing them all to charge.

When you park and stop the engine the split charge relay disconnects your leisure batteries from the alternator circuit effectively isolating them from anything fwd of the drivers seat (radio/lights etc.).

This is why the battery charger has two seperate outputs (leisurebatteries/starter battery).
These outputs are connected either side of the split charge relay."

Back