Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel reading always says 0.0 AMPs

Bally2811

Bally2811

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Ive had a look around the forum and was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with the central control panel showing a continuous reading of 0.0 AMPS even when extracting load and charging under hook up. e.g. when I start my aux heart it used to shown an initial reading of -10 amps then settle to a normal discharge reading. Now it shows no movement in amps at all.

The voltage moves up and down as I would expect when under load / charge but there is no movement in the amps, however when I start the ignition it does shows an +ve AMP reading as I would expect c2-3 amps I do not however get any reading when on hookup?

Now I wouldn't normally worry but the Van will be 5 years old next month after a couple of weeks of not using the van my leisure batteries were completely flat, I've always fully maintained the batterys and they have been connected to a solar panel for the last year.

Also I recently replaced the facia as the rotary button has stopped working.

All help appreciated ? Thanks David

Ive had a look around the forum and was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with the central control panel showing a continuous reading of 0.0 AMPS even when extracting load and charging under hook up. e.g. when I start my aux heart it used to shown an initial reading of -10 amps then settle to a normal discharge reading. Now it shows no movement in amps at all.

The voltage moves up and down as I would expect when under load / charge but there is no movement in the amps, however when I start the ignition it does shows an +ve AMP reading as I would expect c2-3 amps I do not however get any reading when on hookup?

Now I wouldn't normally worry but the Van will be 5 years old next month after a couple of weeks of not using the van my leisure batteries were completely flat, I've always fully maintained the batterys and they have been connected to a solar panel for the last year.

Also I recently replaced the facia as the rotary button has stopped working.

All help appreciated ? Thanks David
I presume after fixing the Control Panel everything worked properly at first?

If that is the case then we need to investigate the Charging systems and for that you need a Voltmeter/ multimeter.
1. Do you have a read out on the Solar Panel Controller? If not use the meter to measure the output of the panel.
2. Plug in the EHU and measure the output.
You can measure the output of both chargers at any of the 12v sockets in the camping area, or on the terminals of the rear Leisure Battery.
You should get a baseline voltage reading off the Leisure Battery by covering the Solar Panel so there is no power from that.
Whatever the baseline reading is it should increase towards 14 + v when the Solar Panel is uncovered and if on the EHU should increase to about 14+ v.

If both of these systems are working then you should check the Cube Fuse 50 amp which is found on the + tve terminal of the rear Leisure Battery.
If the 2 chargers are working and the 50 amp fuse is OK then you should check the Earth Shunt. See Download in the VIP section.

Hope this helps.
If you don’t feel happy doing the above then a Good Autoelectrician or the Dealer is your alternative.

I presume after fixing the Control Panel everything worked properly at first?

If that is the case then we need to investigate the Charging systems and for that you need a Voltmeter/ multimeter.
1. Do you have a read out on the Solar Panel Controller? If not use the meter to measure the output of the panel.
2. Plug in the EHU and measure the output.
You can measure the output of both chargers at any of the 12v sockets in the camping area, or on the terminals of the rear Leisure Battery.
You should get a baseline voltage reading off the Leisure Battery by covering the Solar Panel so there is no power from that.
Whatever the baseline reading is it should increase towards 14 + v when the Solar Panel is uncovered and if on the EHU should increase to about 14+ v.

If both of these systems are working then you should check the Cube Fuse 50 amp which is found on the + tve terminal of the rear Leisure Battery.
If the 2 chargers are working and the 50 amp fuse is OK then you should check the Earth Shunt. See Download in the VIP section.

Hope this helps.
If you don’t feel happy doing the above then a Good Autoelectrician or the Dealer is your alternative.

Hi, Welshgas thanks for the advice. I did a bit of testing.....

(1) When the solar is connected to the rear battery battery it showed 14v, but the central control unit stayed at 12.6v
(2) When I connected a 12v supply directly to the solar unit on the rear battery the voltage reading on the solar control unit dropped but the central control unit stayed at 12.6v
(3) When I connected a 12v supply in the boot, the solar unit stayed at 14v but the voltage on the central control unit dropped to 12.4v
(4) At night I connected the van to mains hook up, the rear battery reading was 12.8v and the control panel was 13.6v.

So......I think....it must be to do with the connection between the from and rear battery??
I had a look for the 50 amp fuse on the rear terminal but I couldn't find anything?

Any further help appreciated before I take it to VW to be checked?

Kind regards

David

Hi, Welshgas thanks for the advice. I did a bit of testing.....

(1) When the solar is connected to the rear battery battery it showed 14v, but the central control unit stayed at 12.6v
(2) When I connected a 12v supply directly to the solar unit on the rear battery the voltage reading on the solar control unit dropped but the central control unit stayed at 12.6v
(3) When I connected a 12v supply in the boot, the solar unit stayed at 14v but the voltage on the central control unit dropped to 12.4v
(4) At night I connected the van to mains hook up, the rear battery reading was 12.8v and the control panel was 13.6v.

So......I think....it must be to do with the connection between the from and rear battery??
I had a look for the 50 amp fuse on the rear terminal but I couldn't find anything?

Any further help appreciated before I take it to VW to be checked?

Kind regards

David
This thread shows the fuse and its location.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fuse-on-positive-leisure-battery-terminal.19122/#post-220300