Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Conversions that are more expensive than a Cali !?!

Seems a bit odd to convert rather than buying the real thing ? Obviously different if you don't want an exact copy of the original, but then again I don't think you would be able to create an exact factory match !

Personally, I converted my 2012 LWB factory sportline kombi as I like the sportline spec with twin sliders & had a beach interior ( seats & floor ) fitted with 240V hookup & leisure battery fitted into the side pod, fitted an omnistor awning & waeco cfx 35, but to me it's still a Kombi that I have to use for work but doubles as an occasional overnight camper as & when we choose.

Actually... looks nicely done and I can see some of the advantages and improvements. (Best Calitype I've seen)

All the best bits of a Cali plus proper RHD and different cupboard arrangements.

It is expensive, but then again I wouldn't pay that for a Cali either. (And you could expect to negotiate at least £5k off this price.)

Rgds
M

Last edited:
Seems a bit odd to convert rather than buying the real thing ? Obviously different if you don't want an exact copy of the original, but then again I don't think you would be able to create an exact factory match !

Personally, I converted my 2012 LWB factory sportline kombi as I like the sportline spec with twin sliders & had a beach interior ( seats & floor ) fitted with 240V hookup & leisure battery fitted into the side pod, fitted an omnistor awning & waeco cfx 35, but to me it's still a Kombi that I have to use for work but doubles as an occasional overnight camper as & when we choose.

Exactly it is a van conversion albeit by VW. Mine was also used for work before retirement on a daily basis, and still is used daily.

John

with a gp California roof? No rot there then ... but not the same as on the real Calis unless he just mistyped or does not realise?

The T5.1 is often referred as GP so I read it has a facelift roof.

They do look strange without the side mouldings now I'm used to mine

With vw campers being so mainstream yet the 'real' california not so. Many people buy a conversion thinking its a vw camper...simple. No research or vw experience and they buy a conversion instead of the california. We have met dozens of vw conversion owners with great vans who asked us where we bought our conversion from, they just look back at us gone out when we say its volkswagens own!

ps still annoys me when you type vw california search into ebay or autotrader to view the miriad of california style or california look camper etc. Still asking 40k plus.

Listed as 140 bhp but it's only got 5 gears, something not correct there! Beware:sad

When I was shopping around and then came to this forum I was amazed at how many people complained about how expensive a Cali is.

Yes, I could have had a T5 conversion for £45k with nice pretty curtains and a little cupboard for the loo....

Then upgrade from 102 manual to 180DSG, 4 motion instead of slow motion, big roof, upstairs bed, proximity sensors etc and so the list went on .......

"'ello Mister, can you sell me one of you're cheap cali's please?".........................

All with the comfort of one stop shopping. Mine was in SMG today, habitation bits being sorted out under warranty whilst mechanical inspection and servicing was done at the same time, one service manager to talk to, all very nicely handled under the umbrella of VW customer service.

Listed as 140 bhp but it's only got 5 gears, something not correct there! Beware:sad
I noticed that but it looks like something on the gear knob, there's a similar mark on the other side ...:confused:

According to DVLA that vehicle is N1, 2l Diesel with a CO2 of 190 .
The nearest I can see to that is the 102ps. So it would seem that vehicle has been tuned , or else there is something strange about it.:cool:

Here you go!

image.jpg

Looks a well done job - but they reckon its cost them £37k to do for a low spec engine, no heated seats, no warranty on the conversion probably not double glazed, won't have the extra door seals that make the cali much quieter than the vans etc etc.

As a conversion 9/10 value for money compared to the real thing 2/10

According to DVLA that vehicle is N1, 2l Diesel with a CO2 of 190 .
The nearest I can see to that is the 102ps. So it would seem that vehicle has been tuned , or else there is something strange about it.:cool:
You worry that if the seller has been a 'careless' with that type of detail (that it's a tuned 102ps not the 140 his description implies), that other aspects of the van may not be as they seem.
For 'careless' you could substitute 'dishonest'.

Yeah right asking £41 K & the bike racks not included, dreamer or what

Especially as the Warranty is now probably void.

Asked the seller about the discrepancy in the engine outputs.Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 09.31.33.jpg

tbh I wouldn't be happy about remapping these motors, surely can't be any good long term, that's why I bought the factory sportline.

Trying hard.
Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 11.09.43.jpg

before I brought my Cali I looked into having a VW T5 converted, by the time I had specked the van and the price of the conversion, there was not a lot of difference in the price, but a big difference in quality. That is why converters like to use Cali parts were they can

You have to start with a pretty high spec vehicle to get all the standard goodies the California has.

Now now motacyclist! Bloody humans will think its fantastic and just not know theres the vw california in existence. Fool and their money etc?

Back