Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Converting Cali to 5 seater

J

jeannie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
I know this has been discussed before as I did so myself a few years back. But I just rang my insurer to see what he thought about me making the two seat bench seat into a three seat bench so changing it to a 5 seater. He said it would not be a problem if I changed the log book to state it was 5 seater
Can anyone tell me any other reasons why I cannot do this please? I’m sure there must be another reason? Thanks

I know this has been discussed before as I did so myself a few years back. But I just rang my insurer to see what he thought about me making the two seat bench seat into a three seat bench so changing it to a 5 seater. He said it would not be a problem if I changed the log book to state it was 5 seater
Can anyone tell me any other reasons why I cannot do this please? I’m sure there must be another reason? Thanks
Forgot to say it’s a 4motion so cant have extra seat

Does anyone know if the floor rails for the 2 seater Beach are the same as the 3 seater? Will the 3 seater bench adapt to the 2 seater rails, especially with 4Motion?

How do you expect to get a 3 seater in with the kitchen etc in place?
Any of the conversion vans with 3 seat and kitchen would only fit 3 anorexics! We looked before buying a cali. Other option would be 3 up front.

The Insurance Company won’t care, But DVLA might be a different matter. Your vehicle will be certified for 4 seats. Greater seating capacity is either due to the fitting of extra seats on the rails, not possible in your case, or a 2 Seat front Passenger Seat that is available for Commercial Transporters.
If you plan on sitting 3 on the Bench Seat then you will have the problem of fitting the 3rd Seat Belt to a seat certified for 2 passengers.
DVLA, might insist that the rear bench when fitted with 3 seat belts be certified for 3 adults even though you don’t intend carrying 3 adults but children instead. All seat belts etc; are certified for adults .
If DVLA just say Yes without requiring any evidence and you don’t carry out a proper installation , and your Insurance says Yes based on your new V5c and you are involved in an accident, well that will be your problem to sort out.
The only legal way, I can see, is to change the Front Passenger Seat to a 2 seater bench with a proper restraint system. If you have a Passenger Air Bag installed that should also be changed for the larger double Seat one.

How do you expect to get a 3 seater in with the kitchen etc in place?
Any of the conversion vans with 3 seat and kitchen would only fit 3 anorexics! We looked before buying a cali. Other option would be 3 up front.
So sorry, I just assumed we were talking about 2 seater/3 seater bench for a Beach!

Does anyone know if the floor rails for the 2 seater Beach are the same as the 3 seater? Will the 3 seater bench adapt to the 2 seater rails, especially with 4Motion?
If you remove the 2 seat bench + side storage locker then the 3 seat bench will fit the 3 rails.

I'm not sure what you mean here @WelshGas. My 3 seat bench sits on four rails. Is there a version of the 3 seat bench which sits on 3 rails?
Maybe the 3 seat bench only attaches to the extreme outer 2 rails, which are the same in the 2 seat and 3 seat versions?

I'm not sure what you mean here @WelshGas. My 3 seat bench sits on four rails. Is there a version of the 3 seat bench which sits on 3 rails?
I think you will find it doesn’t utilise all 4 rails, only 2 of them.
The 2 seat bench only uses 2 rails, 1 and 3 if 3 rails fitted. So I presume in yours the 3 seat bench is either using 1 and 3 or 1 and 4.
It might have a supporting wheel on the unused runners but unlikely to have the Locking Mechanism.
I can’t find any plans for the 3 seat bench only the 2 seat and that only utilises 2 rails.

I think you will find it doesn’t utilise all 4 rails, only 2 of them.
The 2 seat bench only uses 2 rails, 1 and 3 if 3 rails fitted. So I presume in yours the 3 seat bench is either using 1 and 3 or 1 and 4.
It might have a supporting wheel on the unused runners but unlikely to have the Locking Mechanism.
I can’t find any plans for the 3 seat bench only the 2 seat and that only utilises 2 rails.
This is just the sort of mystery that grabs my curiosity. I'll be out with a flashlight tomorrow to check.