Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5 seater Grand Cali

Also interested. Looking at swapping the Cali for a Grand but potentially not done with kiddies yet and may have a requirement for a 5th seat in due course. Don’t really want to buy something and then change it in short order if it’s not possible.

Hi not seen a GC converted; here’s a video of a double swivel seat. There’s additional electrical equipment on top of the fuse box on the GC so it may be less straight forward.

1F5F1AA7-6D96-43AF-B276-8FC799B7A877.jpeg

Hi not seen a GC converted; here’s a video of a double swivel seat. There’s additional electrical equipment on top of the fuse box on the GC so it may be less straight forward.

View attachment 107846
it’s probably why the GC that has the additional seat(earlier in this post) went down that route.

We’ve ordered a gran Cali with the plan of taking the seat off and seeing what’s possible. So will update this post in summer when we know more. From speaking to people it is possible in theory as long as you don’t have electric heated seats…. We shall see!!!

Just to add to this thread in case anyone contemplating such a project - I noticed a Grand Cali which had extra venting in the floor between the two front seats - see the additional grille below the handbrake (LHD vehicle). This GC had both an auxiliary heating system (see additional panel in roof) and dual-zone climatronic. I’m not sure which of these leads to the extra venting, but this would create an extra challenge to anyone considering a 5 seat GC project, so thought I would share here.

4602C8F5-62CA-40C8-A562-59637B364927.jpeg

A4D95CBB-2B02-4BFD-8230-27697A35607B.jpeg

81BF0DBF-9C1A-4E46-9A81-E00C870BAA0A.jpeg

We’ve ordered a gran Cali with the plan of taking the seat off and seeing what’s possible. So will update this post in summer when we know more. From speaking to people it is possible in theory as long as you don’t have electric heated seats…. We shall see!!!

Any update on this @Cali adventures ? We've just found out my Wife is expecting again (no 3) and it's now looking like we need to make a decision on the future of the BoxDrive 600XL.

@SpuffingtonMe congratulations. Having spent many many hours researching options for our family with 3 kids, here are the main options:
1. VW California Beach (3 seat bench)
2. VW California Ocean with a Multimac seat or 5th seat
3. Ford Nugget (short wheel base without dedicated toilet, or LWB with)
4. Hymer Hymercar Sydney GT60
5. Dreamer Camper Five or Family Five

Other than the example in the post above (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/5-seater-grand-cali.40937/post-589279), I’m not aware of any examples of a 5 seat VW Grand Cali.