Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooktop Safety Sensors

(is this a Cramer EK2000??)
I've had a look on the german Caliboard.

Since Dometic took over Cramer the type 1 part that we have fitted is no
longer available, theres only the type 2 parts for it now and that is probably
the one you have.

It is possible to fit the new type but you'd have to buy 2 new burner heads and lids- 58€
and there is a bit of drilling involved but it is do-able.

ONly just caught up with this thread . . . We have a 2008 California - UK registered. In about ? 2014?, the thermocouple packed up - burner would not stay alight. I got a replacement from VW van Centre, and the receipt confirms it was the part number with the A at the end for my particular van.

I replaced the thermocouple myself, with the help of my brother. A fiddly, awkward job, disconnecting the gas union needed, and removal of cooker / sink unit (partial anyhow). Small hand tools needed, including a deep socket 5.5 mm socket. But it has worked fine since.

Van Centre told me today they could still obtain that part, but on 'back order', approx 3 weeks wait. About £60 + VAT for a bit of wire and two connections.

I did keep some notes about how to do the job. I could re-write or scan I guess.

An alternative, as someone mentions above, is to get thermocouple (used in all gas appliances I think) from an alternative source. My local gas / plumbing merchant sells 'universal' thermocouple kit i.e. variety of connections - I kept the old faulty item back in 2014 (! I must have guessed it would be needed!) and I will take that down and see if I can source a replacement / spare. Cost c £15.

I will post on here to let you know result.

Thanks for raising this important issue - the burner will not function without the thermocouple.

Lewis

ONly just caught up with this thread . . . We have a 2008 California - UK registered. In about ? 2014?, the thermocouple packed up - burner would not stay alight. I got a replacement from VW van Centre, and the receipt confirms it was the part number with the A at the end for my particular van.

I replaced the thermocouple myself, with the help of my brother. A fiddly, awkward job, disconnecting the gas union needed, and removal of cooker / sink unit (partial anyhow). Small hand tools needed, including a deep socket 5.5 mm socket. But it has worked fine since.

Van Centre told me today they could still obtain that part, but on 'back order', approx 3 weeks wait. About £60 + VAT for a bit of wire and two connections.

I did keep some notes about how to do the job. I could re-write or scan I guess.

An alternative, as someone mentions above, is to get thermocouple (used in all gas appliances I think) from an alternative source. My local gas / plumbing merchant sells 'universal' thermocouple kit i.e. variety of connections - I kept the old faulty item back in 2014 (! I must have guessed it would be needed!) and I will take that down and see if I can source a replacement / spare. Cost c £15.

I will post on here to let you know result.

Thanks for raising this important issue - the burner will not function without the thermocouple.

Lewis
I've just checked the forum subjects more carefully; the instructions for cooker removal (which gives access to the hob underside, for replacing thermocouple, is in the section from I think Martin, Technical, Earth Shunt Repair. Invaluable - that's the guidance that I used, helped a lot.

Lewis

Hi there,

I'm an owner of a T5 California and I'm looking for a specific part that I cannot find in the shops or online - I hope you might be able to help me.

The part in question is the safety heat sensor for the gas cooktop.
The precise reference is "7H7 068 119".
The problem is that VW changed this part (I think for the T6) and apparently they no longer make the T5 version.
Beware - the new part's reference is almoste the same: "7h7 068 119 A". The new part does not fit into the T5 cooktop!

Would anyone know where I could find these pieces? Or have any good contacts that might be able to help me? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks very much in advance for any help - I'm desperate!

Best regards,
Did you get it fixed ?

Interesting to know that, although they look the same as from the start in 2003, they are still different, and even different makes.
Mine came with a manual fro SMEV.

Hi everyone,

First up, apologies for lack of response or updates, I've been pretty busy!
A partial update:

- thanks to your help identifying the manufacturer and model number (ie Cramer EK2000), and not messing about going through VW or Westfalia, I actually managed to find the exact parts in my local camper accessories shop!! Not cheap at about 45€ each, but at this stage I'm just about ready to pay anything!

I say partial because I'm yet to get them fitted and tested as my local mechano is overloaded with work at the moment. Will keep you posted on final progress.

Thanks very much all for your help - indispensable particularly when you think you're out of options and on your own!

Cheers

Tim

Hi There
Reviving this thread, which was very useful as I have a 2006 German market (LHD) Cali with a hob burner that won't stay lit. I'm assuming I need the Dometic (formerly Cramer) EK2000 part.

I think I found one below, just hoping someone who replaced theirs can verify that it looks correct.
Happy to post a photo of my kitchen if it helps beyond knowing the model year...

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/spares/dometic/spare-cramer-thermocouple-350mm-407144377/
dometic-407144377__87259.1624457226.jpg

Hi There
Reviving this thread, which was very useful as I have a 2006 German market (LHD) Cali with a hob burner that won't stay lit. I'm assuming I need the Dometic (formerly Cramer) EK2000 part.

I think I found one below, just hoping someone who replaced theirs can verify that it looks correct.
Happy to post a photo of my kitchen if it helps beyond knowing the model year...

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/spares/dometic/spare-cramer-thermocouple-350mm-407144377/
dometic-407144377__87259.1624457226.jpg
Have you removed old thermocouple for comparison?

Have you removed old thermocouple for comparison?
No...haven't gone there yet. Leaving on a trip tomorrow so I didn't want to dismantle and potentially make it worse. I'm on the fence about doing this one myself; sounds like I might need a full free day to do it carefully and correctly.

Back