Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant heater?

.....still can’t find the external temp sensor?

heater is switch off via the thermostat in the coolant loop

Could that same thermal switch not also be the 'temp sensor'? Closed below 5C, opened above 10C (or 15 or 20 or whatever) similar to the fan switch?

Mr C is confident it’s the one behind the bumper?

Mr C is confident it’s the one behind the bumper?

I’m no expert in the world of vehicle electrics but lots of reading and having physically dismantled our coolant heater has give me a decent insight. @sidepod would it not be best to check for electrical activity at the plug connecting to the heater? Pin 6 is for the sensor feed and Pin 7 for the D+ feed from the alternator. I guess if they are active at that point then the fault is likely to be internal on the heater. A broken wire or dodgy connection would be a nicer/easier fix though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re quite right and given time that’s what I’d do. My overhead control panel isn’t displaying the outside temp so I’m hoping to fix that.

Did you manage to find which fuse feeds the heater?

Off on hols Saturday so it’ll probably be after that when I get in amongst it.

You’re quite right and given time that’s what I’d do. My overhead control panel isn’t displaying the outside temp so I’m hoping to fix that.

Did you manage to find which fuse feeds the heater?

Off on hols Saturday so it’ll probably be after that when I get in amongst it.

Love it. The never ending list of fixes. I’m guessing you’re heading for snow in Austria? You’ll defo be wanting the Control Panel temperature display working for that. I think the sensor for that is near the number plate. Never had reason to investigate yet but have caught my fingers on it many times whilst washing ours.

I’ll see what I can find out about the fuse for the heater. Initial investigations suggest it could be in various locations. Maybe our manual can narrow things down a bit.

Happy travels.

.....still can’t find the external temp sensor?

A question? Has your dashboard instrument cluster got an MFA display? If it has this could be the reason your Central Control Panel doesn’t show the external temperature…

Quoted from a German Wiki on the subject and translated by Google - For California models with MFA instrument cluster, which also displays the outside temperature, the outdoor temperature gauge will not be displayed in the [[E153 | Operation and Display Unit E153]. If the function is selected, only dashes appear in the display. The reason for this is that the required encoder is connected to the instrument cluster and not to E153. It would be a second encoder required, but the VW has not installed.

Aahhh you beauty! Nice one Cheesy.

I was beginning to wonder. There are two sensors behind the bumper. One deffo controls the MFD. I unplugged it and the temp readout on the MFD went blank.

So only dashes on the overhead panel.
Makes sense I guess.

Still no heater. It must be as you suggest, prob a glow plug issue.

Cheers :thumb

Lucky guy heading to Austria!!! If you have the time, its worth getting the coolant heater working. However, when I work dayshift, I leave home at 06.40 and this winter many mornings were below 4.0c
I thought the coolant heater would give a lot of heat very quickly, however it just heats up a little quicker than normal.
I presume its working correctly.

Lucky guy heading to Austria!!! If you have the time, its worth getting the coolant heater working. However, when I work dayshift, I leave home at 06.40 and this winter many mornings were below 4.0c
I thought the coolant heater would give a lot of heat very quickly, however it just heats up a little quicker than normal.
I presume its working correctly.

Depending on the kind of driving your doing the coolant heater should have the engine up to normal running temperature within 10 or so mins. If it’s not working, unless you have a fast A road blast, the engine is unlikely to get to running temperature for a substantially longer time. If yours fires up below 4C as it should then it’s probably doing its job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on the kind of driving your doing the coolant heater should have the engine up to normal running temperature within 10 or so mins. If it’s not working, unless you have a fast A road blast, the engine is unlikely to get to running temperature for a substantially longer time. If yours fires up below 4C as it should then it’s probably doing its job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its a ten mins drive to work, so after a few mins i can feel warm air & usually the engine is up to temp by the time I get to work.
I believe an additional timer can be got to allow it to be used when the vehicle is parked, the kit has additional pipe work and pump, etc.

Its a ten mins drive to work, so after a few mins i can feel warm air & usually the engine is up to temp by the time I get to work.
I believe an additional timer can be got to allow it to be used when the vehicle is parked, the kit has additional pipe work and pump, etc.

Sounds about right. The timer kit for the coolant heater - not really worth the expense if you already have the air heater fitted. In fact if you don’t have the air heater you’d be better getting that fitted as it’s much more efficient at heating the passenger area.

Ooh, I love threads like this!
I never understand a word of it but feel very content knowing you all do!!
Thankyou!

Yea have the air heater in the rear, it’s fantastic to have. I set the timer so it has the Cali warm for when I leave the house for work in the morning.
Sounds about right. The timer kit for the coolant heater - not really worth the expense if you already have the air heater fitted. In fact if you don’t have the air heater you’d be better getting that fitted as it’s much more efficient at heating the passenger area.

ve

Back