Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Corrosion resistant 13 to 7 pin adapter (for bike rack)

P

phil keegan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
edee8442dd38d9e86ece8f23b4a2b9de.jpg

Turns out a trailer light warning message was due to a corroded adapter. Easily replaced but any tips for cleaning the van side sockets? Separately looks like the adapters come in different materials - any recommendation for one where future electrolysis/corrosion will be less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer my own question after a bit of browsing it looks like an adapter with nickle plated copper connectors would have been less prone to corrosion than the adapter with copper connectors that I’ve been using……

Just disconnect it when not being used, as guessing you are not carrying bikes on a towbar rack everyday.

Just disconnect it when not being used, as guessing you are not carrying bikes on a towbar rack everyday.

I take the rack off when the van is at home but pretty much every time we head off we take bikes. Really love the flexibility of a van for accommodation and a bike to get around on.

edee8442dd38d9e86ece8f23b4a2b9de.jpg

Turns out a trailer light warning message was due to a corroded adapter. Easily replaced but any tips for cleaning the van side sockets? Separately looks like the adapters come in different materials - any recommendation for one where future electrolysis/corrosion will be less?

You have made met think I had better start spraying my van and bike carrier electrical connectors with contact spray more frequently. Thanks for flagging this. I bought Halfords own brand contact spray as it was cheaper than WD at the time.

A combination of contact spray and sand paper on the contacts and a new adapter has resolved the bike rack ‘bulb’ issue without actually changing the bulb. This was just as well as for some reason the bayonet on the replacement 380R bulbs I got hold of doesn’t quite fit………. Thanks again for contact spray tip.

Back