5. Child 8-15 supplement £67*
6. Child 0-8 supplement £FREE
7. Dog supplement £FREE
8. WiFi (3 connections) £25*
9. Animal health certificate £180
10. Return vet visit £25 (estimate)*
11. Fuel - 120 litres (estimate) £192*
12. Tolls £124*

Cost of holiday 2 adults, 2 children and one dog (excluding food, excursions and treats)
£1035
Cost of taking dog (excluding food)
£235 (22.7% of total cost)

*Euros/pound rate (mis)calculated at £1:€1

The animal health certificate single use is one of the most ridiculous consumer fallouts from Brexit.
You should get an EU pet passport ...

1. Ferry £170
2. Ferry discount with 600 P&O shares -£1
3. Dog supplement on ferry £30
4. Campsite 10 nights £223*
5. Child 8-15 supplement £67*
6. Child 0-8 supplement £FREE
7. Dog supplement £FREE
8. WiFi (3 connections) £25*
9. Animal health certificate £180
10. Return vet visit £25 (estimate)*
11. Fuel - 120 litres (estimate) £192*
12. Tolls £124*

Cost of holiday 2 adults, 2 children and one dog (excluding food, excursions and treats)
£1035
Cost of taking dog (excluding food)
£235 (22.7% of total cost)

*Euros/pound rate (mis)calculated at £1:€1
Crazy price, I’ve given up on eu travel with Zeb. You can get dog sitter for way less.
I can imagine you would love to take her but it’s such a CON now

I’d love to know what facilities the Dog is going to use on the Ferry to warrant a supplement ?

It’s the charge for passing you a micro chip scanner :headbang

I’m not convinced that is even a legal requirement for travel to the EU. It may be required to check for tape worm treatment for return to the UK.

But there don’t appear to be any routine pet checks for the ferry - Eurotunnel do their own thing.

But I don’t begrudge £15 each way for a dog on a boat, even though she stays in the car we do have the option of the pet lounge and poop deck.

Fair comment, but it misses the point.

It cannot be right that taking a dog on a family holiday costs nearly a quarter of the travel and accommodation costs.
Agree entirely. Our last trip , the AHC cost £250!
Our vet recently withdrew the half price repeat certificate reduction and then added £100 just for giggles. Adding insult to injury, they omitted to inform me until after it was all done.

Needless to say I list my s**t and moved vets.

Slightly off topic, how do you control the obligatory rats that come with chickens?

Slightly off topic, how do you control the obligatory rats that come with chickens?

No mercy. Poison. We had a really bad infestation during the autumn. I thought the chicken’s pen was impenetrable by rats with lower mesh 25mm by 60mm, but rats can dislocate their shoulders, and they could dive straight through. I tried raising the food (it hangs from the roof of the cage) but the rats can jump a phenomenal height and I watched them take turns to jump up - I even have a video of them doing it!

So it had to be poison. Rats were eating more than the chickens.

I made sure the poison was one that wouldn’t have secondary effects. That is, rat eats poison and as it is dying an owl eats the rat and dies from our poison. I’d have rather kept feeding the rats than have that happen.

No mercy. Poison. We had a really bad infestation during the autumn. I thought the chicken’s pen was impenetrable by rats with lower mesh 25mm by 60mm, but rats can dislocate their shoulders, and they could dive straight through. I tried raising the food (it hangs from the roof of the cage) but the rats can jump a phenomenal height and I watched them take turns to jump up - I even have a video of them doing it!

So it had to be poison. Rats were eating more than the chickens.

I made sure the poison was one that wouldn’t have secondary effects. That is, rat eats poison and as it is dying an owl eats the rat and dies from our poison. I’d have rather kept feeding the rats than have that happen.

Yup, not easy. I use a Stoeger X20 with a Hawke scope. I can get a head shot at 40m. More fun than poison.

Agree entirely. Our last trip , the AHC cost £250!
Our vet recently withdrew the half price repeat certificate reduction and then added £100 just for giggles. Adding insult to injury, they omitted to inform me until after it was all done.

Needless to say I list my s**t and moved vets.
The Animal Health Certificate for a pet dog is a scam.
The single-use more so than the cost, IMHO.

Unfortunately only a minority of people (those who drive to the continent with their dog / cat) are affected, so it's unlikely to change until the next referendum.

BTW, on the continent dogs also can fly everywhere ... one of reasons I drive is also to be able to take the dog with me .

Any more info on what you used. I have rat/s avoiding my trap filled with goodies, i feel poison is the next method but want to eliminate risk to ours and neighbours dogs as well as birds etc.

Air rifle. Shoot the little f****rs

Any more info on what you used. I have rat/s avoiding my trap filled with goodies, i feel poison is the next method but want to eliminate risk to ours and neighbours dogs as well as birds etc.

I bought some stuff on Amazon, but before it had a chance to work, Clare had called in a pest control company who replaced my poison, that was being eaten, with their own poison. We haven’t seen a rat since. Remarkably the pest control company didn’t charge us!

This is the stuff I got from Amazon.

2a4b475ae914d284e8f92b2d9cb76d38.jpg

Along with a couple of boxes to store the bait.

5cb34cc2ac855a0285144ae380ff190e.jpg

Dogs certainly can’t get in, but to be doubly sure they are placed in a place that Meg cannot access. We have squirrels in our garden too, and I’m unsure if they could or would take the bait, but decided I could live with killing a couple of innocent squirrels as collateral damage.

Last edited:
Air rifle. Shoot the little f****rs
Yes, it's an option. Unfortunately it can be many hours before a sighting and then whoosh it's off as soon as the door makes a sound. It's on video reaching out at full stretch to raid the birds peanuts. We've stopped with the peanut feeder.

The veterinary industry (it is an industry) should be ashamed of itself for its manipulation of human emotion and blatant rip-off of their customer base.

The veterinary industry (it is an industry) should be ashamed of itself for its manipulation of human emotion and blatant rip-off of their customer base.

I’m not sure that it is fair to blame vets for Britain being ejected from the Pet Passport scheme, and hence the need for an Animal Health Certificate.

I think Britain would be welcomed back into the scheme if it accepted its terms and conditions.

Sadly it’s not just the Animal Health Certificate. It’s everything. It’s time for an Easy-vet to emerge.

I’m not sure that it is fair to blame vets for Britain being ejected from the Pet Passport scheme, and hence the need for an Animal Health Certificate.

I think Britain would be welcomed back into the scheme if it accepted its terms and conditions.
So, the UK accepts the EU Pet Passport for bringing a dog into the UK?
A UK citizen can procure a EU Pet passport for their pet dog and use it to gain entry into the UK or EU?
If you don't have an EU pet Passport for your dog then the EU insist on an Animal Health Certificate for which UK vets charge in excess of £150?

Do you require ANY certification to take a pet dog out of the UK? As far as I am aware NO, but you do require certification to take the animal into a Non-UK country, ie the EU in this case.

If that is the case then the EU is insisting on this certificate, which as far as I am aware contains all the same information as the EU Pet Passport, possibly more but certainly not less than the EU Pet Passport.

I presume the Animal Health Certificate is detailed by the EU, otherwise they wouldn't accept it, and judging by other EU documentation I have come across it is extremely verbose with detailed instructions on how it is filled out and with what colour ink is used etc: etc:. I can understand why a Vet might charge £150+ for filling out such a form.