Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crossing from France into Spain. What is the best route?

We’re going east to west thro’ The Pyrenees , From experience which route is the best? Is Andorra, Err or anywhere else a must?
Andorra (the town) is little more than a tax free shopping haven. Going over el Pas de la Casa and avoiding Tunel d'Envalira is quite nice, but it is a commercial ski area. There are nicer parts of the Pyrenees than Andorra.

The Spanish side is noticeably drier and less green than the French side, (I prefer the French side); and while both sides can have very significant rain storms, especially late afternoon and early evening, the Spanish side will generally be better weather for camping.

One place I would recommend you visit is the Cirque d'Estaubé. There are three great Cirques, all a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the most famous being the Cirque De Gavarnie, but this has turned into a somewhat squalid tourist trap. The Cirque d'Estaube is a hike in and a hike out; being more remote from the roads makes it less touristy, and I think Estaubé is the most peaceful.

For Cirque de Gavarnie you can ride a horse in and out at a price.

For Cirque du Troumouse there is a road train pulled by tractor.

There is a long day walk which takes in all three Cirques, but this is a bit of an expedition.

More details here:

We’re going east to west thro’ The Pyrenees , From experience which route is the best? Is Andorra, Err or anywhere else a must?
I enjoyed the route from Girona to La Seu d'Urgell, 25700, Lleida, Spain via Vic. You could continue west from there to Vielha, 25530, Lleida, Spain then enter France from there. Personally I was not impressed with Andorra town but I did have 3 days of rain there and there was very little to do in the town.

We will be landing in Santander in August and then staying in San Sebastien for 2 nights. We then are going here 31420 Cassagnabère-Tournas, France in the Pyrenees.

Is that easy? Part of me believes that there are no borders to cross. Is that still correct on all routes, even with Covid? I thought I had read somewhere that some routes were clogged with traffic, particularly in the summer.

Google Maps seems to suggest route AP-8 then A63, then A64 in France. It predicts 3 hours which is ok. I'm hoping some of that will be scenic but not too exhausting.

Any suggestions welcome.
Hi a place call saint Jean de Luz is well worth a visit next to the railway station motor homes only 6 euros a night right in the town enjoy your stay

Back