Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DAB Aerial upgrade

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone upgraded, replaced or mounted a new DAB/FM aerial in a totally different position to the standard T6 wing mirror, to improve radio reception
I see that Absult5 sell a roof mounted fin, but not sure if this would be possible, poptop top roof fitted

Any decent DAB aerial needs a power supply. Fitting a dab aerial to a pop top will also need an earth running to it as the roof is only connected to the can body via hinges so not ideal.

Any decent DAB aerial needs a power supply. Fitting a dab aerial to a pop top will also need an earth running to it as the roof is only connected to the can body via hinges so not ideal.
I was thinking about front edge of roof, the fixed part that doesn't go up with the poptop

I was thinking about front edge of roof, the fixed part that doesn't go up with the poptop
That's not a simple body panel, but a quit thick alloy structural section that extends down the sides in 1 piece to provide structural integrity to the roof on the California. Totally different to a Transporter roof.

I've been on the T6.1 that there is a plastic black lump on the front panel above the windscreen. I assume this is for the GPS antenna, but I know some other manufacturers use their shark fins etc for all types of reception - DAB and GPS. I appreciate this is a T6.1 I'm talking about, but thought I'd mention it

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the DAB/FM radio reception

No personal experience of these.
May be worth contacting the as to suitability for a Cali installation. I think that there will be a double skin at the front, original front roof with the Cali part on top?

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the DAB/FM radio reception
What exactly is the problem. Any radio station broadcasted on FM and DAB then my RNS510 switches between the 2. I only have a problem in DAB black spots, and they are few and far between, for those stations that only have a DAB presence such as Scala, all the main stations just switch to FM automatically.

What exactly is the problem. Any radio station broadcasted on FM and DAB then my RNS510 switches between the 2. I only have a problem in DAB black spots, and they are few and far between, for those stations that only have a DAB presence such as Scala, all the main stations just switch to FM automatically.
In some areas, when listening to radio 2 (KB & pop master) its switches from dab to fm and the reception is poor

In some areas, when listening to radio 2 (KB & pop master) its switches from dab to fm and the reception is poor
Simple things to check,
Have you got aftermarket wing mirrors coloured caps?,
Have you got any 12v USB plugs plugged in? If so try unplugging them, some cheap ones can cause RF interference.
Has the drivers mirror everbean damaged?
Lastly, check the aerial connections on the back of the Unit.

The 12v USB plug advice above is a great bit of advice. I had to go through about 3 or 4 different USB adaptors to find one that didn't interfere with the DAB our Land Rover. Even some branded Belkin ones didn't have the correct shielding etc.

I ended up with one from Amazon that specifically states DAB shielding etc - works just fine.

Back