Dans Breakdown

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Dan,

We're all awaiting the diagnosis. Are you back in the game?

S.

No news yet, my mechanic is pretty busy at the mo.

Seems that the boys have been round today.

Looking at the collection of parts it looks like it did drop a valve into a cylinder. Piston looks a bit of a mess. Not sure about head damage as I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Guess I'll have a proper update soon.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Seems that the boys have been round today.

Looking at the collection of parts it looks like it did drop a valve into a cylinder. Piston looks a bit of a mess. Not sure about head damage as I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Guess I'll have a proper update soon.
Sorry to hear this Dan, was it cambelt failure ?
Ron.

Bent the conrod too :(

while it's in bits thinking about removing the turbo mod. Thoughts? The installation causes me a few problems (generally oil leaks around the oil cooler) and while it seemed like a great idea when I bought the van, I keep coming back to the fact that the AAB wasn't designed to have a turbo.

while it's in bits thinking about removing the turbo mod. Thoughts?

It sounds like a sensible move. The stock 2.4 seemed to be bulletproof so if you can get back to that reliability, it would be a good thing. I doubt the turbo mod is adding extra value - folks would buy your van because it's a 'stock' Westy.

Arrrgghh, I was just scoffing my dinner when I clicked on your photo link Dan! Lost my appetite now! Not a pretty sight!

Who knows what caused the dropped valve but I'd bin the turbo. As per previous comment, if your. motor doesn't have the oil spray VW fitted to add extra piston cooling on Turbo motors then it's a time bomb.

These engines are capable of star ship mileage without problems.

S.

It's worse in the flesh. Brought a tear to my eye and the accountant is having kittens...

Ta for the comments. Resale value isn't an issue, she's not for sale. Don't think this problem was related to the mod, but I agree that long term reliability could be an issue.

We have a plan for the van and along with bombproof reliability*, I've been starting to feel that having a simple, standard engine that looks like the one in the manual would be beneficial.

*I may need convincing!

Bit more progress. They shouldn't look like this, should they?

IMG_0367_zps29d9ebd9.jpg

Yep, that's the one. Already new the top of that one damaged, so it was being replaced anyway.

Still not nice to see. Powerful things these engines!

wow not nice :sad

Felt like someone had ripped my heart out when mine was off the road for 8 months with fire damage and in bits looking sorry for its self... especially when the insurance company wrote it off :headbang

Good luck with the repair hopefully not to painful on the pocket!

Called mine Westy when I got it? its now called Westy Rides Again....

I think we're up to Betty Rides Again and Again…

Things are progressing. They had hoped to get it finished last week, but found a problem with number 5 cylinder (a cracked skirt? Guess unrelated to this problem, but maybe the reason we started getting white smoke end of last year).

Just got home from a few days away and there's a nice shiny number 3 piston in the engine, a nice shiny cylinder head with the standard 2.4 exhaust manifold bolted on and the refurbed injectors back in.

Almost there. Then I can start on the rust :D

Ahhh white smoke.... Mine kicks out a cloud on start up thought it was a timing issue had timing done and it starts better but still got the smoke?
Being told its un burnt diesel? I'm no mechanic is this true and down to its age 21 years!

Would like to get rid of the smoke or will I just have to live with it?

Yes, I believe that white smoke is unburnt fuel, but I am also no mechanic…

We were getting white smoke when I loaded the engine, so things like motorway slip roads and hills. When I was looking into it, I found the most likely reasons were

- fuel filter (unlikely, but cheap to try)
- timing (ours was spot on as far as I could tell)
- injector issues - bad atomisation of fuel (supposed to be changed/refurbed every 100k miles on the 2.4 I think)
- leaking valves, piston ring issues or cylinder wear.

Paul on here with the Cali Club also suggested changing the air filter (not enough air, can't burn fuel). I thought that had fixed it for a while, but no.

Chaps have made more progress. Cylinder head is back on, starting to look like a real engine again.

Have replaced Hobnob supply with Jammy Dodgers as an incentive.

Miles without a breakdown: 15

We are back on the road :thumb

Seriously Dan , I'd be very very careful. There is no way Jammy Dodgers are up to the job!!
Hobnobs are fine, chocolate covered better.

For real peace of mind I'd be looking to a Cadbury choc finger or a mint Club.

Good luck.

S.

Dear Mr Pod,

I had always believed you to be a man of impeccable style and taste, the sort of man who should he currently be, or perhaps becomes in the future, the ambassador of our fine nation to some far flung part be the sort of man who would most definitely not spoil his guests with Fererro Roche.

However, and I shall try and be as gentle as I can about this, THERE IS NO PLACE IN THIS WORLD FOR MINT CLUBS.

If you'd said Gold Bars then there may have been some hope for you, but let us be candid about this - Jammy Dodgers are part of the food group knowns as The Finest Biscuits Known To Mankind. Other members of this elite group (note: not an elite Club) do indeed include Hobnobs in both their plain and chocolate varieties, as well as to Ginger Nuts and Rich Tea.

The cookie recipe detailed in Clifford Stoll's 'The Cuckoo's Egg' is pretty good too, but that's a cookie, not a biscuit. An Jaffa Cakes are delicious it is true, but when it is all said and done, they are a cake.

Please forgo these dark thoughts of minty chocolate, there may yet be time to save your own soul.

Yours Sincerely,
dan

ps. Taking the van out for a longer run today. Also taking the RAC card.