Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashcam power from rear-view mirror

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Anyone tried this?

I read there are piggyback adaptors available that taps into the auto-dimming mirror's power supply.

Sounds a faff to me and likely harder than just feeding the wire down into the fuse box where you can nicely piggyback fuse it.
Do you know of any guides illustrating removing the relevant trim?

I guess this is what you’re talking about.

Never seen anything on here. If it’s anywhere it would be on the T6 Forum.

Still sounds like a job for a jobs sake to me when wiring and fusing properly is just as easy.

You dont need to remove any trim you can push it behind with a plastic tool.Same with the headlining.
been there done it easy job. Just make sure the cable is long enough.

You dont need to remove any trim you can push it behind with a plastic tool.Same with the headlining.
been there done it easy job. Just make sure the cable is long enough.
True, but I did remove the side trim to feed the cable down and into the fusebox easier and also removed the car sensor cover to better feed the wire up, cutting a small groove into it to hide the wire. Just made it all a neater job for me.

Last edited:
There is a lip on the headlining at the windscreen do you can run the wire along there. If you remove the passenger side grab handle 2 Torx screws under covers then you can pop off the side trim and run the wire down the pillar. When putting it back make sure the clips are fitted in the trim and then snap it in place. I then remove the end of the dash panel to help route the wire in. Do not unplug the airbag switch on this big of trim or the airbag light will come on and will need to be reset.
I then remove the bit of trim above the footwell I think 3 Torx screws to route the wire over to the fuse box.
I replaced my wire a few weeks ago and I used a 2m lead and it just reaches. I have in the past used a 3m lead and you just need to loop it up and tape it up somewhere.
I would say it is less than an hour to do.

Back