Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Date of registration

Grey one

Grey one

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

Can I seek views on whether there is an advantage to holding off my date of first registration? This is my first Cali and I have no intention to sell the vehicle in the next few years but am curious as to the potential advantages of holding off registration in my particular case.

Having ordered in March, I have just been told out of the blue that my new vehicle is built and sitting at the port for shipping. It should be available to pick up very late Jan or first few days of Feb. I don't have any trips planned for February so delaying pick up is not a problem from that perspective.

Would there be an advantage to waiting one month until the new plates come out? This is my first Cali and I assume subsequent resale value is based on condition, mileage, options etc. Is the registration plate as significant in future Cali valuation as it is with a car? Whilst it is somewhat irrelevant as who knows what will happen in the next few years, I am curious. Any views?

I had the same with my T6 transporter which was delivered in late January but as I didn't need it straightaway I asked the dealer to hold onto it and put a March 1st plate on it.
It probably doesn't make much difference to resale value but if it makes any difference at all then it's worth waiting for IMO

Would there be an advantage to waiting one month until the new plates come out? This is my first Cali and I assume subsequent resale value is based on condition, mileage, options etc. Is the registration plate as significant in future Cali valuation as it is with a car? Whilst it is somewhat irrelevant as who knows what will happen in the next few years, I am curious. Any views?

I can see a possible advantage in holding off for a few days, but not a month or more. Any advantage will erode over time.

VW customer services told me I have a build starting 23 January; they suggest two weeks' build taking me to 6 February and 3 weeks' delivery taking me to 27 February. If this is correct, waiting until March for registration is sensible. I hope to keep the van for 10+ years, any gain by then will be marginal, but it will be nice to drive a new reg car for up to 6 months.

Just make sure that any promotional discounts you may have been given/negotiated will not be affected by the pick up delay. I've seen small print in the past that requires collection as soon as the vehicle is available for promotions to be honoured.

That being said sometimes the dealers will happily ignore these so just best to check beforehand.

My only advice would be to register before March 31st in order to avoid the increased VED levied on all new vehicles over £40k. This is an additional £310 per year on top of the standard rate for a total of six years before reverting back to a single, standard VED rate.
A point to watch out for too - your dealer may insist on an early registration as I assume you signed a contract prior to at least two price increases. If you try and defer he will almost certainly try to charge you those price increases. The dealer should be up front and tell you this but its better to be prepared.

Few years ago I bought a new car in July 2nd week.
When trading in I found that it would have been valued at £750 more if waited a couple of weeks for the new reg. I'd expect about £1,000 difference now between a 2066 plate and a 2017 plate.
Which secondhand one would you buy if there was a choice?
The UK market is very plate year orientated.

Think it has to be registered within 2 weeks to avoid the price being charged at post Dec 1st pricing.

Just thought to revive this old thread …. and see what difference a few years and a pandemic makes?

We have this same dilemma - ordered an Ocean in March 21, due to be picked up around 4th week of January. The dealer says they can store the vehicle till 1st March however we would lose the £1,000 VW discount on options that we accepted at the time of ordering.

So, do we wait and pay more for a ‘22 plate, or accept delivery now? With currently very strong secondhand prices, does it make any difference to the retained value? What is the wisdom out there?

Just thought to revive this old thread …. and see what difference a few years and a pandemic makes?

We have this same dilemma - ordered an Ocean in March 21, due to be picked up around 4th week of January. The dealer says they can store the vehicle till 1st March however we would lose the £1,000 VW discount on options that we accepted at the time of ordering.

So, do we wait and pay more for a ‘22 plate, or accept delivery now? With currently very strong secondhand prices, does it make any difference to the retained value? What is the wisdom out there?
I personally would get it as soon as poss, I wouldn't want it sat around for several weeks at a dealers.
Start enjoying it.

Accept delivery asap before someone reverses into it in the dealers carpark.

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments. It seems a fairly universal opinion not to delay. We’ve agreed to collect a week on Monday which is the earliest we can do, but will keep the VW options discount safe. We’ve going to collect in person, rather than take the delivery option. So now, we count down the days!

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments. It seems a fairly universal opinion not to delay. We’ve agreed to collect a week on Monday which is the earliest we can do, but will keep the VW options discount safe. We’ve going to collect in person, rather than take the delivery option. So now, we count down the days!
Delay it till the Tuesday (1st) and you wont lose a month of road tax.

I really think that the reg change date should be the 1st Feb and 1st July.

Lots of people would benefit from a new car whilst the school and summer holidays are in full swing. I remember having to wait till Sept 1st for a new Amarok many years ago and when it arrived, the school holidays were over!

A new reg Cali on August 1st and a few weeks camping would make for a great summer!

Delay it till the Tuesday (1st) and you wont lose a month of road tax.

I really think that the reg change date should be the 1st Feb and 1st July.

Lots of people would benefit from a new car whilst the school and summer holidays are in full swing. I remember having to wait till Sept 1st for a new Amarok many years ago and when it arrived, the school holidays were over!

A new reg Cali on August 1st and a few weeks camping would make for a great summer!
Good point, I hadn’t thought of that, but just not practical for us. It would also push the good will around the 14-day limit to register and take ownership to the extreme. I appreciate all of the input.

Back