Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Davenport Wheel spec

Barnress

Barnress

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing used Davenport Wheels and Tyers my Wheels have this code 7E0601025P and my Tyers are 235 X 55 17" the ones I am looking to buy are 7E0601025AB and 215 X 60 17" are these compatible?
Any help would be appreciated.

In short, yes.

VW Davenports with 215 X 60 17" tyres will fit your Ocean. There are always a few sets for sale on Ebay usually with only delivery miles. £500 seems to be the going rate. Frankly, I wouldn't pay any more as some VW commercial dealers will sell you a set for this price. These wheels/tyres have usually been removed from a new van on the instructions of the new owner, in favour of something more "Carlos Fandango". Buying a set of these is a good economic move as they are probably cheaper than the new tyres alone. As for the Davonport wheels, IMO they are the best option on a Cali or a van for that matter. They may be boring but they are strong, easy to clean and don't feature any of that diamond turned nonsense that all manufacturers seem to fit these days. Davenports will still look great long after the diamond turned alternatives have been attacked by the dreaded lacquer corrosion worm.

However, there are some things you should know. These 215 tyres are van tyres that usually come as standard on the commercial Transporter models. They are normally made by Continental or Bridgestone and will last a good long time as, I suspect, they are designed with mainly commercial use in mind. They run at high pressure, 60psi from memory, to take the heavy load commercial use and have stronger less supple side walls than some other sizes. Accordingly, some people including me, find they give a harsher and more crashy ride than say the 235's you currently have, especially if your van is lightly loaded. The latter 235 tyres appear to give a more forgiving ride. They don't run at such a high pressure and appear to have a more cushioning side wall construction to assist dampening, thus taking care of some of the harshness of ride.

I have had both tyre sizes and this is my personal experience.

Last edited:
I would second this. If you need 4 new tyres, look about for 4 new wheels with 4 new tyres already on - for about the same cost as just the rubber. Important to get the tyres that you want though - I had to wait a while to get a set of Bridgestone all seasons. And don't underestimate how big 4 wheels are and how much mess they make if you transport them in the van!

In short, yes.

VW Davenports with 215 X 60 17" tyres will fit your Ocean. There are always a few sets for sale on Ebay usually with only delivery miles. £500 seems to be the going rate. Frankly, I wouldn't pay any more as some VW commercial dealers will sell you a set for this price. These wheels/tyres have usually been removed from a new van on the instructions of the new owner, in favour of something more "Carlos Fandango". Buying a set of these is a good economic move as they are probably cheaper than the new tyres alone. As for the Davonport wheels, IMO they are the best option on a Cali or a van for that matter. They may be boring but they are strong, easy to clean and don't feature any of that diamond turned nonsense that all manufacturers seem to fit these days. Davenports will still look great long after the diamond turned alternatives have been attacked by the dreaded lacquer corrosion worm.

However, there are some things you should know. These 215 tyres are van tyres that usually come as standard on the commercial Transporter models. They are normally made by Continental or Bridgestone are will last a good long time as, I suspect, they are designed with mainly commercial use in mind. They run at high pressure, 60psi from memory, to take the heavy load commercial use and have stronger less supple side walls than some other sizes. Accordingly, some people including me, find they give a harsher and more crashy ride than say the 235's you currently have, especially if your van is lightly loaded. The latter 235 tyres appear to give a more forgiving ride. They don't run at such a high pressure and appear to have a more cushioning side wall construction to assist dampening, thus taking care of some of the harshness of ride.

I have had both tyre sizes and this is my personal experience.
Brilliant description thank you for the information I am currently running on winter Tyers and steel wheels so have decided to put winter Tyers on my Davenport wheels then buy another set of Alloys in the spring with summer Tyers at that price I think that makes sense.

Some further advice:

I always aim to start looking for a new set of wheels and tyres when the current ones have done about 12000 miles. That way there's no rush and as @steve_b has said, it's worth hanging on for the right tyres at the right price, that aren't located at the other end of the country.

Once you've found a set, you should then advertise the cleaned up, part worn set to offset the cost. It should make a new set of rubber very cheap indeed. But beware, always check the date stamp on the new tyres before you buy because some sellers may have removed the wheels/tyres some time ago and stored them. Ideally you want brand new tyres with delivery miles only, not unused tyres that have been stored for several years before sale.

I would second this. If you need 4 new tyres, look about for 4 new wheels with 4 new tyres already on - for about the same cost as just the rubber. Important to get the tyres that you want though - I had to wait a while to get a set of Bridgestone all seasons. And don't underestimate how big 4 wheels are and how much mess they make if you transport them in the van!
I have transported wheels in my van and yes they fill the van up! Thanks

Brilliant description thank you for the information I am currently running on winter Tyers and steel wheels so have decided to put winter Tyers on my Davenport wheels then buy another set of Alloys in the spring with summer Tyers at that price I think that makes sense.
I had two sets (winter and summer) when we had our first Cali. The trouble is you first have to store the set that aren't in use and secondly, they are a pain to swap over. I now run all season tyres instead. Yes, they are a compromise but unless you live in an area that usually suffers bad winters, or go on holiday to the Alps or like then full winter tyres are a bit of an over kill IMO.

I've transported sets of 4 wheels 17" and 18" in the rear with the shelve/bed section removed and an old blanket covering them to stop any panel marking, stacked face up. Pretty stable.

Hi all, I am looking at purchasing used Davenport Wheels and Tyers my Wheels have this code 7E0601025P and my Tyers are 235 X 55 17" the ones I am looking to buy are 7E0601025AB and 215 X 60 17" are these compatible?
Any help would be appreciated.
I've seen Davenports with worn tyres or no tyres for as little as £200.

Very rare now to see 235/55/17 tyres fitted as even the Cali range seem to come with 215's now in many cases.

A Midland example

I had two sets (winter and summer) when we had our first Cali. The trouble is you first have to store the set that aren't in use and secondly, they are a pain to swap over. I now run all season tyres instead. Yes, they are a compromise but unless you live in an area that usually suffers bad winters, or go on holiday to the Alps or like then full winter tyres are a bit of an over kill IMO.
I go to the Lakes whenever there is snow around for the English Skiing LDSC up on Raise near Helvellyn over the Kirkstone Pass not for the faint hearted even with a four wheel drive on snow, after a trip to the Alps and seeing the difference in tyers on snow I've changed them every year since.