Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Day light running lights

B

Billtinsley

VIP Member
The daylight running lights on my candy facelift are almost a yellow light ,that's the single bulb in the light housing, is there an upgrade bulb on the market that will give a white led light ? :?: I have seen other VW vans with a brighter dlr but the majority seem to be this yellow hew !

They are a T10 I believe and there are lots on eBay . You really need them to be LED and canbus error free. XTEC are supposed to be good. Check your handbook for exact lamp type but LEDs are the best way to get the white look.
I have them in both my Audi and the Galaxy I just sold and had no issues . If you do fit them remember they are polarity conscious and need to be fitted the right way round . Also a good tip from the Audi A1 forum is to have the ignition off and doors closed during fitment, get them connected the right way and then try to see if they light. If you do get one or both the the wrong way reverse them and repeat the procedure. This is to stop the current sensing that triggers the bulb failure falsely triggering with the leds as they pull less current than normal lamps and this method would seem to teach the system. Not sure if it really works but followed it on the Audi with no issues. It also worked for led numberplate lamps.

John

They are a T10 I believe and there are lots on eBay

Sorry but you are wrong T10 are the side lights & possibly side indicator repeaters.
The DLRs are either H1 or H7 can not remember which & are used for high beam (no I don't understand how they don't dazzle other people but I just checked) They are the inner of the pair of headlight bulbs.
I have been considering changing them for Phillips X-treme vision or X-treme power these are same wattage but give a better white light & are supposed to be brighter. Are available on ebay.

Thanks Andy I will check that out candycal bill :D

Andy I have a feeling that although the light is main beam when it is on dlr mode it has reduced power ? :mrgreen:

Billtinsley said:
Andy I have a feeling that although the light is main beam when it is on dlr mode it has reduced power ? :mrgreen:

Possibly, I was wondering about that.

is it just me or do these daytime running lights with the LED's look a tad tacky? Xenons yes . but rows of LED's are a big no no!

I would love to change my drl's to blue is it possible :?:

nah mate you are playing with me now. i dont like to see blue lights in my rear view mirror no time hahaha

seriously tho i think people should keep things like lights standard as you start bordering chav/boy racer/halfords-man

I think it would look cool I didn't mean flashing blue.

Calikev said:
I would love to change my drl's to blue is it possible :?:

Yes but you would also have blue headlights as the same bulb is used for main beam.

Does that mean its a no no then andy. What are my options for changing the yellowish drl's :?:

If blue headlamps are legal you can do it. As I said I believe the DRLs use the main beam light on a reduced current.

Andy I think insomnia is confusing the day light running lights of the 2011 facelift model with led Audi style strips , I think you can change to a white light bulb which is led and although on reduced power still gives a white light as opposed to yellow ! What do you think :idea: :idea: :thumb candycal

VW do LED DRL's, they fit in bumper insert & are plug & play as far as electrics go. Not a simple diy job though I think new insert will need spraying to match cali. Kit was in current brochure I think. Has been discussed on here somewhere.

Back