Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Daytime running lights issue

T

TwoDogs

VIP Member
A warning light about lights appeared on my dash a couple of days ago. I couldn't see any lights that weren't working, then today noticed that the daytime running lights seemed to be out on the drivers side (the "dot matrix" row that go around the edge of the headlight on the t5). However i've just been out to check and they're all working, and the warning light has gone off.

Any thoughts? Loose fuse somewhere? Are those running lights a single unit?
Thanks in advance!

Could you give some idea of which vehicle/year you have?

The T5 was introduced in 2003 and the T5.1 or Facelift in late 2009.

My 2014 ( MY2015) SE uses a H15 dual filament bulb for DRL and Main Beam.

If yours is 2015 or later is it still under warranty?

Yep xenon. The headlights are fine, the problem is the "LED" style ones round the outside

Last edited:
Thanks WG..looks useful. The fact that they're working again now suggests a loose connection somewhere

Here’s a thing - I just had my T6 serviced and asked them to replace a bulb after having had all the symptoms you describe for a couple of months (warning light on then off and then on again). VW told me that it’d be around £180 worth of labour to fix because the lamp holder has ’distorted’ due to overheating probably caused by continuous long uses ( excuse me but it is a campervan!!!). I was told it was quite common on the T6 but that it isn’t a ‘recall’ issue. Another example of VW’s attitude towards customers expecting a ‘fit for purpose’ approach where an expensive repair will do just as well! ‍

At the same service I was also told the driver’s side rear spring was broken! ‘Is it safe to drive‘ I asked to be told ‘Yes, but it’ll need doing before your MOT as it’ll fail inspection‘ - the quote for a repair £480 for replacing both rear springs! (VW prefer to change both at once!!!) I asked if this was common on a 2016 vehicle (38000mls) to be told ‘Well it’s all the extra weight the California carries that causes it’ - that’ll be the ‘fit for purpose’ thing again ‍

Hi @Kalikarl
Did you go through with the repair to the distorted lamp holder? Do you know what they did to repair it?
I have read on other T6 forums that VW are aware of this fault and have re-designed the lamp holder to remove the screw in contact points and now the lamp holder comes wired directly.
If your repair is snipping the wires from the light cluster and soldering them to the wires on the 'new' lamp holder then I reckon I could probably tackle that myself. Otherwise, I am also stuck with the expensive repair.

VW told me that it’d be around £180 worth of labour to fix because the lamp holder has ’distorted’ due to overheating
We had the same issue on our 2016 T6 and asked the dealer to sort the blown bulb as I could not get to it. They told me it was an issue with the lamp holder and fitted a re-designed holder - they fitted both sides at the same time. We were lucky as we were still just within our 5-year warranty.

Had this issue with our T6, not damaged enough to warrant a new light unit though, fitted an LED lamp so that should eliminate the heat issue, pain to get at, need to do the passenger side which I recon will be equally painful, had the same problem with a 2010 mini rear brake light, bulb melting the holder...

Thanks for confirming @Meoncoast I had guessed it would just be wiring in a new lamp holder.

@Nick Stubbs I had considered LED's for the lower wattage and less heat but that in itself opens a whole can of worms...I would have to change the rest of the lights to LED!

Thanks for confirming @Meoncoast I had guessed it would just be wiring in a new lamp holder.

@Nick Stubbs I had considered LED's for the lower wattage and less heat but that in itself opens a whole can of worms...I would have to change the rest of the lights to LED!
Why all of them, only the opposite side surely

Why all of them, only the opposite side surely
Not sure what the mix of bright white light from an LED DRL and the warm light of the headlights would look like, and then it is all the E markings, warning lights, canbus etc.

I am no expert on LED's and it seems like a rabbit hole I am not sure I am ready to go down.

I think once the headlights are on you wouldn't notice the DRL's, get the right lamps and no issues with the can bus, mine looks odd at the mo as one DRL is LED, not really worried what it looks like, need a good day to change the other as the battery has to come out to get at the lamp holder, that's why its a pain....

Back