Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dazed and Confused

F

finnmccool

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Everyone,
We are two near-to retirement oldies with a labradoodle, looking to buy a California....a new adventure for us. In the past I have had no problem being decisive about what car I want but I now find myself dithering like an old dodderer over the smallest decisions.
A few days ago I had made my mind up to go for a new T6.1 Ocean 150 through whatever route DTD took me. Now I hear the debate over the possible 10% import duty and I have gone scurrying back into my shell ....
Help is need before I start seeking it through a bottle!

Welcome to a fellow Led Zep fan! I think most potential purchasers go through the indecisive phase. If you have the cash, why not go ahead? There’s little point having it in the bank at present.

I can help with the bottle .....

To be honest I've no idea what is happening with the raised spectre of import duty.

The fear is we leave the EU on WTO trade terms and that will be he result.

We can debate till we are blue I the face if the Germans would really want tariffs slapped on the cars they send to the UK ... but that doubt remains. My own view is if I was to place an order now I would insist on the price agreed being the price to be paid regardless of any future trade wrangling.

I would think in any case whatever deal we leave on any future tariffs would apply on post departure orders and not pipeline orders.

I wouldn’t worry too much because if you ordered one now to your spec it would have to be built for you in Germany which would mean that you wouldn’t get it until we were into next year so whatever happens and 10% duty went on you wouldn’t get away without paying it..It has to be your choice as to if you wait or not..The 10% however would cost you an extra £6k.. If you can afford it go ahead otherwise wait a few months to see what’s going to happen..Sometimes dealers order a few ahead of any price, tax or possible duty rises to get them before the new year.

I can help with the bottle .....

To be honest I've no idea what is happening with the raised spectre of import duty.

The fear is we leave the EU on WTO trade terms and that will be he result.

We can debate till we are blue I the face if the Germans would really want tariffs slapped on the cars they send to the UK ... but that doubt remains. My own view is if I was to place an order now I would insist on the price agreed being the price to be paid regardless of any future trade wrangling.

I would think in any case whatever deal we leave on any future tariffs would apply on post departure orders and not pipeline orders.
Duty would be paid on any vehicle on the day it is imported regardless of any deal you had with the supplier..

Thanks everyone. On balance I probably shouldn't worry too much about the import duty. My limited understanding is that it is up to the importing authority to decide what taxes it wishes to impose on what goods - we may become a tax haven! If we had a car industry to protect it would make sense to slap a duty on cars...otherwise it just serves to subdue an already depressed market. Still...what do I know?

Thanks Billylou - I was looking at Autotrader earlier and your link to one van has prompted me to ask the question about this two tone option - indium grey over pearl black - to me it looks sensational but can you specify it?

I'm sure you're aware there are still a few low mileage pre Reg'd T6.1 Oceans out there. The sticker prices admittedly are high but you "might" be able to do a deal if you're prepared to compromise on the specification. You could forget the import duty and be on the road before the rain stops. Good luck

As an example

I cringe when I see the prices of the new California’s..£70k for a used van.. oh well looks like I will be keeping mine till the reaper calls....