Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealership rang, offered to swap my van! Sanity check please

Terrible photo I know. It looks so sharp tho!
Looks good - did you take off the awning or realise it didn't have one?

I take it off outside summer. It's easy to do as long as you have somewhere to store it!
Do you need any special tools? Are they spline bolts? This should be a separate post, probably...

Do you need any special tools? Are they spline bolts? This should be a separate post, probably...
No I just use a single T30 bit on a racket with extension from this neat kit I keep in the van:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HY7LV6E/?tag=eliteelect-21

All explained here:

I keep coming back here hoping to hear why someone might have returned / sold their van after only 300 miles, seems an odd thing to do and is quite interesting.
But all there is is a pointless arguement about roofs instead ... boring.
I went to look at a van at VWCampersales but my wife was pregnant, wouldn’t get out of bed so by the time we arrived someone else was test driving it and bought it. Two days later it came up for sale again and I bought it. The guy who changed his mind then contacted me to suggest the van had problems. These were all known by Campersales and fixed before I collected it. Mine for 13 years now.

The chap went on to buy a new one. Then I think a few months later he sold that. He was what I would impolitely call “a bit of a berk”.

From what I remember the reason he sold the new van was his wife didn’t enjoy the campervan experience. The foundation, not to be taken for granted, of all California ownership is a willing wife*.

*or husband, or partner, and family.

Last edited:
Right place at the right time.
I sold my Cali in Sept 2020 and was keen to view and possibly buy a Hymer Grand Canyon. Stock was short, vehicles were being purchased prior to arriving at the dealership.
Expressed an interest in a vehicle coming into Campersales and requested a call back when in stock, I did get a call but unfortunately it was sold to a customer prior to arrival.
However a few days later Rob from Campersales phoned and suggested that the sale may fall through.
The reason being the new owner hadn't realised the vehicle had leather trim and being a VEGAN, he requested a trim swop be but as Rob said what with?
The original sale collapsed, the next day we purchased, sometimes you are just lucky.

Right place at the right time.
I sold my Cali in Sept 2020 and was keen to view and possibly buy a Hymer Grand Canyon. Stock was short, vehicles were being purchased prior to arriving at the dealership.
Expressed an interest in a vehicle coming into Campersales and requested a call back when in stock, I did get a call but unfortunately it was sold to a customer prior to arrival.
However a few days later Rob from Campersales phoned and suggested that the sale may fall through.
The reason being the new owner hadn't realised the vehicle had leather trim and being a VEGAN, he requested a trim swop be but as Rob said what with?
The original sale collapsed, the next day we purchased, sometimes you are just lucky.
Indeed, sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time and you can make your move. Anyway, an equally incredible story as a cali as a gift from Volkswagen because an employee retiring, but those stories just make it a little bit funnier to read, don't they?
Have fun with your campervan!

I don't know anything about the money, the value or the resell value. I don't care either. That's not what my post is about at all. Just about how desirable for some a manual roof is. Very strange that a dealer asks one to trade in their coast for something that can still be bought both new and second-hand in different ages, isn't it? You would almost think that it is about the manual roof… :oops: :D
For me I’d never consider a manual roof, I’m too short , just put my neck out closing the tailgate

For me I’d never consider a manual roof, I’m too short , just put my neck out closing the tailgate
Sure: small people can't do anything with it, this is logical and a good reason to go for the automatic roof. As I mentioned somewhere before, my wife can't pull the roof down either ;)

Auto roofs are bound to fail sooner or later on any MY. :)
Nothing lasts forever. One day the pyramids will be gone.

Back