Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Did we solve the occasional cuppa / MILK dilemma?

In the Persian Gulf with the RAF, NAAFI tea was brewed strong with 1 dessert spoon of Condensed milk. No added sugar.
Milk was reconstituted from dried skimmed milk powder + Dried Cream powder + 8 oz of butter in 10 gallon batches, warmed to dissolve everything then cooled in a fridge. Not too bad.
Sounds very interesting. I suspect the NAAFI would have used gallons of it.
This was the stuff I remember.
20200902_160729.jpg
I'm not so sure that I would like it so much now though as I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days and don't like sweet tea of any kind.

We take Marvel dried milk powder as a backup. I found you cannot just put a teaspoon into a cup of hot tea as it goes funny, it needs to be mixed cold first. I have a small steel milk jug about 150ml so I put a few spoonfuls in there with a bit of cold water and you've got milk enough for a few cuppas. If you are creative you can find a small tin for the Marvel that fits inside your milk jug and save space.

Sounds very interesting. I suspect the NAAFI would have used gallons of it.
This was the stuff I remember.
View attachment 65457
I'm not so sure that I would like it so much now though as I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days and don't like sweet tea of any kind.
And Condensed milk sandwiches.:thumb

What @WelshGas said above. UHT milks sticks. Never had a problem with them bursting, keep them below the shelf in the boot. Several hundred on board at the minute to get through 6 weeks. Last for ages. One stick makes a mug of tea to our taste.

We are black coffee drinkers so can offer no comment on how they taste in coffee.

That can’t be legal.
Condensed Milk Sandwich Recipe

1-43.jpg

Save Print
Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
3 mins
Total time
8 mins

This super easy condensed milk sandwich is not only tasty but is so easy to make. If your kids love condensed milk then it is a hit for sure
Author: Aarthi
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Indian
Serves: 2 sandwich
Ingredients
  • Bread Slices - 4
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk - as needed
  • Butter as needed
Get IngredientsPowered by Chicory

Instructions
  1. Take bread slices, spread condensed milk all over it. Sandwich with other bread.
  2. Cook in butter till golden on both sides.
  3. Serve.

Could be something for a Ridgemonkey.

Condensed Milk Sandwich Recipe

1-43.jpg

Save Print
Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
3 mins
Total time
8 mins

This super easy condensed milk sandwich is not only tasty but is so easy to make. If your kids love condensed milk then it is a hit for sure
Author: Aarthi
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Indian
Serves: 2 sandwich
Ingredients
  • Bread Slices - 4
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk - as needed
  • Butter as needed
Get IngredientsPowered by Chicory

Instructions
  1. Take bread slices, spread condensed milk all over it. Sandwich with other bread.
  2. Cook in butter till golden on both sides.
  3. Serve.

Could be something for a Ridgemonkey.
Just because you can put it in a ridgemonkey, it still doesn’t make it right!

Yes I think I’m the second person to say “a shop?” Good thread though.

In the Persian Gulf with the RAF, NAAFI tea was brewed strong with 1 dessert spoon of Condensed milk. No added sugar.
Milk was reconstituted from dried skimmed milk powder + Dried Cream powder + 8 oz of butter in 10 gallon batches, warmed to dissolve everything then cooled in a fridge. Not too bad.

On the other hand, "NATO Standard" tea = milk (powdered) and two sugars. If you didn't specify otherwise, NATO Standard was what you got. And even if you did, it was still what you got.

Compo (=24 hr ration pack) cheesecake recipe: oatmeal block, jam (from a tube), "Cheese, Processed" (from another tube) on top. Didn't actually taste anything like cheesecake but you shut your eyes and dreamed.

Now I think of it, Royal Marines put the jam on last, but that was because they were rustic dolts from Devon and did the same with their scones back home. But let's not start that again.

Fresh milk always, Fridge in the Cali or Mobicool fridge box in the car.

If I know I'll be brewing I'll take a small flask of fresh milk, but what about those unplanned brews
For me there is no 'just in case' - I know I will always want a cup of tea at some point in the day, so we always take some milk out with us. Just decant some into a small bottle (or a washed-out pint plastic milkbottle). However hot the day is, the milk will last ok without needing to go in the fridge as long as it's kept in the shade.
For real 'emergencies' - if we're away and somehow run out of milk, no shops around - there's a 500ml UHT carton in the drawer under the seat (where things never get hot).

As per the title. Easy enough to store a few tea bags, instant coffee, fresh coffee bags etc in your van for unplanned cuppas, but have we found a way to get proper freshest / longest life milk to accompany it.
If I know I'll be brewing I'll take a small flask of fresh milk, but what about those unplanned brews, without resorting to coffeemate etc.
Nothing wrong with coffee mate in tea. But with some perseverance, black is really nice,

We always have a supply of Nestle Carnation Milk Pots on hand in the van. 20 pack in Poundland for a quid. Last two to three months.

Back