Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel additives?

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I used to add Millers Diesel Eco Max to my Bongo with it's big old 2.5L growler and wonder if I should still use it with my shiny 2014 T5 Cali. I noticed in the manual it says 'no additives' etc...

Stew

I used to add Millers Diesel Eco Max to my Bongo with it's big old 2.5L growler and wonder if I should still use it with my shiny 2014 T5 Cali. I noticed in the manual it says 'no additives' etc...

Stew
Big difference in engines. I personally follow the No Additive advice.

Even if out of warranty you should not use additives. They can swell seals and hence cause malfunction of fuel systems etc.

I have used Millers for most of the 17 years that I have owned my Landrover Defender and it has suited it well. I can feel the difference when not using it. There is a small oil leak now but I would not attribute it to Millers. With over 100k miles and 20years old, it's allowed to be a little incontinent!
I don't think I will be using it on the California though.

My comment above is one of caution I accept, and is rather a catch all statement, but having been caught up in the early eighties Vauxhall/BP fuel detergent issue I know that using fuels/additives that have not been manufacturer approved can be expensive. I agree that this may not be true in all cases. Its a personal choice.

Have to be careful adding anything to common rail diesel engines
If in doubt, don't. Can be very expensive

What do people believe the benefits of additives in a modern Diesel engine to be. I've taken the view that if additives did any good (in general) then they would be in the fuel.

Of course I guess AdBlue is technically an additive ......

• Informative
Reactions: DM
I think if you stick to good branded fuel you will be fine
Our local Esso (an independent) matches Morrisons, so I'm sticking to that at the moment - Double Tesco Clubcard points too currently!
I used an additive in my old Caravelle, but never really saw a difference. There are so many variables in the Euro 6 T6 that I will avoid additives, except those that the fuel companies claim to add.