Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel Parking Heater- Control

"all the temperature settings are useless in this van as soon as you cam below -10'c Because with no insulation you go from +20 inside to 0'c in minutes and heater goes crazy.
Same reaching hot temperatures is almost instant in such a small space.
I would only accept fixed heating level and adjust temperatute inside with windows. ;)

Restarting the heater takes same diesel amount as running on low like half an hour. And burns the battery, so ecological factor is bs imho. Add smell alone on restarts. "

And why do I build and use a fully insulated high roof LWB T6 camper??

"all the temperature settings are useless in this van as soon as you cam below -10'c Because with no insulation you go from +20 inside to 0'c in minutes and heater goes crazy.
Same reaching hot temperatures is almost instant in such a small space.
I would only accept fixed heating level and adjust temperatute inside with windows. ;)

Restarting the heater takes same diesel amount as running on low like half an hour. And burns the battery, so ecological factor is bs imho. Add smell alone on restarts. "

And why do I build and use a fully insulated high roof LWB T6 camper??
I sleep up top in Pyrenees while skiing, this weekend -17 degrees, no top cover, no inside insulation. My sleeping bag is too warm to use above 0 degrees centigrade, so heater works all night on low and never uses battery to restart. In the morning I crank it up a bit 1/2 hour before getting up, get dressed and have breakfast at 22 degrees. My Beach has only one leisure battery, and it's more than enough.

I think the problem is that the thermostat is near the air intake in the front footwell, which is the last place to heat up and the first to cool down. I have read on the forum that some who have installed aftermarket heaters on Beaches have an option to install the thermostat higher up in the rear cabin, which works much better, but I don't know if this can be done with the OEM heater system.
On my webasto the temp sensor is in the air intake which is in the front footwell, where the air is generally the coldest in the van. Thermostat on my controller is useless for comfort levels, as it is measuring the footwell temp not the cabin temp.

Extra temp sensor does indeed resolve this, I believe Webasto and Eberspacher both do a external temp sensor. Something like this probably but may not be this exact one.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/ebers...e-remote-sensor-12v-or-24v-251774890300-p1435

Hey guys,

So I've been playing around with the overhead unit today and found a menu with a heater selector with 2 options:

1. Eberspacher (currently selected)
2. Webasto

I was under the impression that Cali has Webasto - end of the story. Now, since I've learned something new... a few more questions if I may ;)

1. Does this mean my van has Eberspacher and this is the only one and that's why it's active?
2. Can I switch to Webasto?
3. If so, are there any pros/cons of using one or the other?

Any thoughts insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now,
L

Hey guys,

So I've been playing around with the overhead unit today and found a menu with a heater selector with 2 options:

2. Webasto

I was under the impression that Cali has Webasto - end of the story. Now, since I've learned something new... a few more questions if I may ;)

1. Does this mean my van has Eberspacher and this is the only one and that's why it's active?

Cheers for now,
L
What does the label say on the Drivers door B pillar, RHD, say.

The California has 2 diesel powered heaters. Eberspacher is the Parking Heater that heats the cabin, controlled via a Remote Control or the Control Panel.
Webasto is completely automatic and switches on with engine start if the outside ambient temperature is 5c or less. It warms up the engine coolant to 80c or so to reduce emissions and speed up operation of the normal cabin heater .

You will have both, the Eberspacher is your cabin/night/parking heater and the Webasto heats the coolant in the engine block and operates when the ambient temp is below 5 deg c I think it is, but as to whether the control panel has any influence on the Webasto I wouldn’t know, I doubt it though.

Hey guys,

2. Webasto

Cheers for now,
L
Any chance of a photo of the options on the control panel? which menu was it under? is yours a T6 or T6.1. - your details show a T6 but that sort of text couldn't be shown on a T6 control panel.

Any chance of a photo of the options on the control panel? which menu was it under? is yours a T6 or T6.1. - your details show a T6 but that sort of text couldn't be shown on a T6 control panel.
Sure, I've got a 2017 4Motion T6 Ocean - this is an advanced menu and you access it by pressing the round menu with the "back" button simultaneously.

IMG_9157.jpeg

What does the label say on the Drivers door B pillar, RHD, say.

The California has 2 diesel powered heaters. Eberspacher is the Parking Heater that heats the cabin, controlled via a Remote Control or the Control Panel.
Webasto is completely automatic and switches on with engine start if the outside ambient temperature is 5c or less. It warms up the engine coolant to 80c or so to reduce emissions and speed up operation of the normal cabin heater .

Hi and thank you for the clarification. Door labels attached as well as the remote picture.

Can these two be used at the same time or is one or the other? Can Webasto be started from the remote?

I guess the Eberspacher is better used alone beyond winter time?

Cheers,
L

IMG_9165.jpeg

IMG_9166.jpeg

Hi and thank you for the clarification. Door labels attached as well as the remote picture.

Can these two be used at the same time or is one or the other? Can Webasto be started from the remote?

I guess the Eberspacher is better used alone beyond winter time?

Cheers,
L

View attachment 78254

View attachment 78255
Short answer, No. The remote is for the Eberspacher.
Long answer - I believe there is a Polish company that sells a Remote + receiver + wiring to allow the Webasto to be controlled. It also requires flashing the Webasto software as the VW specific software won't work.
In the past VW provided this as an Option in some countries but wouldn't retrofit it.

Short answer, No. The remote is for the Eberspacher.
Long answer - I believe there is a Polish company that sells a Remote + receiver + wiring to allow the Webasto to be controlled. It also requires flashing the Webasto software as the VW specific software won't work.
In the past VW provided this as an Option in some countries but wouldn't retrofit it.

Thank you. Can they be used both (active) at the same time or is one or the other only option?

Thank you. Can they be used both (active) at the same time or is one or the other only option?
The Webasto uses a lot of electrical power as it pumps the coolant as well. It runs of the engine battery and that's why it works automatically on engine start.
If it has the remote function the should only be used for a short time prior to engine start.
I believe it was an option in Northern European countries only.

If your going to shower out of the van in the lake district in may like me. You need to set it to 10 before hand. If your off to bed set it to 1. Easy

20210511_090353.jpg

The Webasto uses a lot of electrical power as it pumps the coolant as well. It runs of the engine battery and that's why it works automatically on engine start.
If it has the remote function the should only be used for a short time prior to engine start.
I believe it was an option in Northern European countries only.

Thank you - it does make a lot of sense for it to be active in colder parts of the world ;)

If your going to shower out of the van in the lake district in may like me. You need to set it to 10 before hand. If your off to bed set it to 1. Easy

View attachment 78276
Nice! I like your sliding-out tray!

I've installed my own shower point - helps me to clean bikes after a muddy session or my kites after a salty dip in a sea and the bag above the pump is a rescue shovel... ;)

L

Pump.jpg

IMG_9022.jpg