Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Van heater (driving heater) issues

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Thanks @Amarillo i’ll check that shortly but since my van has a ‘synchronise’ function for the heating ‘zones’ i’d be surprised.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks @Amarillo i’ll check that shortly but since my van has a ‘synchronise’ function for the heating ‘zones’ i’d be surprised.

One of the more serious flaws of the climatronic design is there is no lock button to the synchronise function and rear passengers can override the driver at will.

Whichever rear seat passenger is next to the controls can use it as a means to wind up the other rear passenger.

E.g.1. Rear passenger 2, “I’m hot”.
Rear passenger 1 turns heat to boil.

E.g.2. Rear passenger 2, “I’m cold”.
Rear passenger 1 turns heat to freeze.

In both examples the driver can set the temperature to the same as the driver by pressing the sync button, or a temp of the driver’s choice for the rear by pressing ‘rear’ then spinning the dial, but passenger 1 can spin their dial to boil or freeze depending on what passenger 2 would find least desirable, immediately overriding the driver.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
One of the more serious flaws of the climatronic design is there is no lock button to the synchronise function and rear passengers can override the driver at will.

Whichever rear seat passenger is next to the controls can use it as a means to wind up the other rear passenger.

E.g.1. Rear passenger 2, “I’m hot”.
Rear passenger 1 turns heat to boil.

E.g.2. Rear passenger 2, “I’m cold”.
Rear passenger 1 turns heat to freeze.

In both examples the driver can set the temperature to the same as the driver by pressing the sync button, or a temp of the driver’s choice for the rear by pressing ‘rear’ then spinning the dial, but passenger 1 can spin their dial to boil or freeze depending on what passenger 2 would find least desirable, immediately overriding the driver.
But would changing the rear affect the temperature selected at the front? My problem yesterday was that after turning the heat up to HI I got cold air from the outermost front vents. The opposite happened recently when I had the temperature set to LO and I had warm air from the outermost vents. It’s in for it’s 1st service tomorrow so will mention it. Might be ‘user error’ but don’t think so.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
But would changing the rear affect the temperature selected at the front? My problem yesterday was that after turning the heat up to HI I got cold air from the outermost front vents. The opposite happened recently when I had the temperature set to LO and I had warm air from the outermost vents. It’s in for it’s 1st service tomorrow so will mention it. Might be ‘user error’ but don’t think so.

It does seem odd.

All I can advise are things to check. It can be difficult to determine where drafts are blowing from. Once I was convinced warm air was coming from the parking heater when it was coming from the rear vents. But maybe it’s just me.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
It does seem odd.

All I can advise are things to check. It can be difficult to determine where drafts are blowing from. Once I was convinced warm air was coming from the parking heater when it was coming from the rear vents. But maybe it’s just me.
Thanks but definitely coming from front vents. I’m just wondering if the Climate Control software is to blame. I.e. it mixes warm and cool air in the cabin via different vents to achieve the right temperature rather than ‘pre-mix’ it and distribute through all vents simultaneously? I’ll see what Citygate say tomorrow.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thanks but definitely coming from front vents. I’m just wondering if the Climate Control software is to blame. I.e. it mixes warm and cool air in the cabin via different vents to achieve the right temperature rather than ‘pre-mix’ it and distribute through all vents simultaneously? I’ll see what Citygate say tomorrow.
The various flaps are controlled by electric servos and can wander out of sync. You can recalibrate them quit easily.

B

Buds

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looking for some advice on the Driving heater.
When I have the driving heater set to off there is still heat coming out of the vents and even when I vent them to the 0 position a small amount of heat comes through. Doesn’t seem to be right that heat is always flowing through?
thanks
Jan
Thanks Amarillo will try that.
Jan

VW California Club