Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Difficulty getting parts from Germany

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all.
Are any of your VW Van Centres having difficulty getting parts from Germany. I purchased my brand new GC600 on 5th August only to find the Wet Room tap leaking into the cupboard flooding the floor on the van under the wet room floor, also rear shower point leaking flooding the garage area and one footwell light missing. All reported to my local dealer who ordered the parts on warranty. It is now the 17th August, GC has been sat on my driveway since 5th August waiting for the parts. I contacted the Van Centre today, my footwell light has arrived along with the rear shower point valve, however, wet room tap is on back order with no date for delivery. The Van Centre has said recently they have been struggling to get some parts through either due to COVID or Brexit. Is anyone else finding this?? It is frustrating as my GC cannot have water in the tank due to flooding and due to this I have no heating either. It is really annoying having a very expensive vehicle unable to be used waiting for warranty parts from VW. The Van Centre are also frustrated as they wish to get me up and running.

In a word yes!
Awaiting roof pump. Parts for small under beach draw and some accessories all on back order with no definite date for arrival.

In a word yes!
Awaiting roof pump. Parts for small under beach draw and some accessories all on back order with no definite date for arrival.
Hi Andy.
It seems like VW have a logistics problem, not great for customers and a big ‘? ‘ over VW factory quality assurance on new vehicles!! I had very little issues with my Ocean!!

I think this year and last are excused do to Bxxxxt and Cxxxd let’s see what it’s like when things get back to nearly normal.

Yes several parts I’m waiting for are on back order and have been for a while.

Yep awaiting Thule step since April and large door fly screen early august due in around late August apparently

Hi all.
Are any of your VW Van Centres having difficulty getting parts from Germany. I purchased my brand new GC600 on 5th August only to find the Wet Room tap leaking into the cupboard flooding the floor on the van under the wet room floor, also rear shower point leaking flooding the garage area and one footwell light missing. All reported to my local dealer who ordered the parts on warranty. It is now the 17th August, GC has been sat on my driveway since 5th August waiting for the parts. I contacted the Van Centre today, my footwell light has arrived along with the rear shower point valve, however, wet room tap is on back order with no date for delivery. The Van Centre has said recently they have been struggling to get some parts through either due to COVID or Brexit. Is anyone else finding this?? It is frustrating as my GC cannot have water in the tank due to flooding and due to this I have no heating either. It is really annoying having a very expensive vehicle unable to be used waiting for warranty parts from VW. The Van Centre are also frustrated as they wish to get me up and running.

Yes waiting new kitchen tap to supposedly stop the pump powering up all by itself

Yes, waiting for another thule step. Got it replaced once already and the replaced one lasted for two weeks.

Yes, waiting for another thule step. Got it replaced once already and the replaced one lasted for two weeks.
Well mine was faulty since handover, a bad batch so i was told hope we don’t have replacement after replacement.

It might be that these faults are so prevalent VW UK have ordered some of these parts in bulk from Germany causing one large delay rather that lots of smaller delays for single orders from individual dealerships.
My 680 has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and haven’t heard anything from them yet! Luckily don’t need it at the moment so not to bothered. It went in with so many faults I imagine a few parts are on order like the corroded gas vent, kitchen tap, router and cupboard catches.

It might be that these faults are so prevalent VW UK have ordered some of these parts in bulk from Germany causing one large delay rather that lots of smaller delays for single orders from individual dealerships.
My 680 has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and haven’t heard anything from them yet! Luckily don’t need it at the moment so not to bothered. It went in with so many faults I imagine a few parts are on order like the corroded gas vent, kitchen tap, router and cupboard catches.
Interesting re router what’s the issue.

Interesting re router what’s the issue.
Regarding the router I tried all the things suggested on here including swapping the cable to the outer socket but nothing seemed to work yet popping the sim into our phone worked instantly and I heard someone on here saying they had their router replaced so I assume this will be the same in my case.

Regarding the router I tried all the things suggested on here including swapping the cable to the outer socket but nothing seemed to work yet popping the sim into our phone worked instantly and I heard someone on here saying they had their router replaced so I assume this will be the same in my case.
Mine was replaced but that was not the issue it was the connection ie incorrect socket, thereafter it worked perfectly, couldn’t be without it.
Before i started letting my dealer know i contacted Vodafones technical team, did not know they had such people, he was great seemed to know his way around the router insuring it was configured correctly. Ie correct box in the menu ticked for data, contract, and so on.

well hope it all works out soon as I know its really frustrating.

Will

Mine was replaced but that was not the issue it was the connection ie incorrect socket, thereafter it worked perfectly, couldn’t be without it.
Before i started letting my dealer know i contacted Vodafones technical team, did not know they had such people, he was great seemed to know his way around the router insuring it was configured correctly. Ie correct box in the menu ticked for data, contract, and so on.

well hope it all works out soon as I know its really frustrating.

Will
Thanks, I’m sure I’ll get it sorted out, they have to get it working somehow. Hasn’t really inconvenienced us to much as we had an old phone which we used as a hotspot which worked great but from what I’ve heard the router is the best signal wise.

Hello,

I had a similar problem with the tap in the wetroom, which resulted in water leaking into the small cupboard beneath. Also with the radio (controller) which needed to be replaced.

From start to finish it took about 2 weeks to get it sorted. In comparison to others not bad. Now I have the same issue with the radio again. I believe this time it will take longer, because they have to find out what the source of the problem is. If it happens a third time I believe, in theory, I would have the right to give the vehicle back to the dealer.

Steve, I agree it is frustrating to have a such expensive vehicle in the driveway and not be able to use it. I fully get this because mine is with the VW dealer as mentioned above.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I had a similar problem with the tap in the wetroom, which resulted in water leaking into the small cupboard beneath. Also with the radio (controller) which needed to be replaced.

From start to finish it took about 2 weeks to get it sorted. In comparison to others not bad. Now I have the same issue with the radio again. I believe this time it will take longer, because they have to find out what the source of the problem is. If it happens a third time I believe, in theory, I would have the right to give the vehicle back to the dealer.

Steve, I agree it is frustrating to have a such expensive vehicle in the driveway and not be able to use it. I fully get this because mine is with the VW dealer as mentioned above.

Regards,
Eberhard
It is frustrating, especially when you have no date for when the Wet Room tap will arrive!! The dealership can only tell you is it is on back order. The water system is so important to the GC as I am told the heating does not work without water in the tank? If I put water in the tank and leave the wet room tap off no leak, however, my rear garage floods as the rear shower fitting is not sealing (this is another problem I am waiting for to be fixed under warranty) when under pressure even with the pump off so I have had to keep the tank empty. Not a good start to my ownership of a brand new GC unfortunately, it will get sorted out the only question is when??

We got our GC 600 on the 07/07/21. Since then we managed to sleep 2x nights in it. Beside 3x weeks when my daughter was home from America most of the time the camper was with VW for repair.

It makes me angry if Volkswagen argues that their products are more expensive than others because of the build quality - ha!

So far we had no problems with the van (Crafter) part of the camper. It seems that the camping part causes all the problems. Yes, they know how to build campers, but it seems that the transition from one size to a bigger size of camper went not well.

Yes, there is an advantage to have it all sorted from one place, but thinking about it, all the VW Commercial dealers have trained technicians in mechanic and electronic and not plumbing and heating. Also it seems that the electronic part of the camper has problems.

One part of our decision to go for VW was that we expect it to be reliable. Next years plan was to go to Scandinavia and Baltic States. After that Romania and if everything is going well for 7 or even 8 month to Canada and America. Now I don't know if I can't trust the VW Grand California 600 if we just barely get to Donegal...

Unhappy Grand California
Eberhard

We got our GC 600 on the 07/07/21. Since then we managed to sleep 2x nights in it. Beside 3x weeks when my daughter was home from America most of the time the camper was with VW for repair.

It makes me angry if Volkswagen argues that their products are more expensive than others because of the build quality - ha!

So far we had no problems with the van (Crafter) part of the camper. It seems that the camping part causes all the problems. Yes, they know how to build campers, but it seems that the transition from one size to a bigger size of camper went not well.

Yes, there is an advantage to have it all sorted from one place, but thinking about it, all the VW Commercial dealers have trained technicians in mechanic and electronic and not plumbing and heating. Also it seems that the electronic part of the camper has problems.

One part of our decision to go for VW was that we expect it to be reliable. Next years plan was to go to Scandinavia and Baltic States. After that Romania and if everything is going well for 7 or even 8 month to Canada and America. Now I don't know if I can't trust the VW Grand California 600 if we just barely get to Donegal...

Unhappy Grand California
Eberhard
With electric cars there’s range anxiety, never thought I’d be getting brake down anxiety in a 2020 VW, on the camping side of the van anyway.

With electric cars there’s range anxiety, never thought I’d be getting brake down anxiety in a 2020 VW, on the camping side of the van anyway.
Well described. This sums it up the way I feel at the moment.

Regrads,
Eberhard

It would almost be better if you didn’t have a warranty- water pump etc £25 part and a ten minute diy fix. Water leaks I reckon I could deal with just as well as a Vw fitter that hasn’t done one before.
Just the control panel to worry about.

Hi all.
I reported a similar problem with the wet room tap leaking in May. The garage couldn’t book it in until July. They now say it will be October before it is ready. Also had problem with the rear shower unit and a leak in the rear doors. They have quoted over £16k to put right through the warranty’.

Back