Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I have an electric tailgate - bike rack implications

F

Freddie197

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Another thick as mince question from me - apologies in advance. I’m looking to buy a bike rack to hold 3 bikes but have noticed the latest VW rack says not to be used with electric tail gate. I bought an Ocean September last year new from a dealer and my tailgate closes using electrics to assist. Does this classify as an electric tailgate or not ? I always thought the electric tailgate would imply it would open at the touch of a magic button all the way which mine doesn’t and i don’t think it was ever an option. Can anyone help - thanks in advance

A California never came with a electric tailgate .
Only the last few cm are pulled thight electric .

A California never came with a electric tailgate .
Only the last few cm are pulled thight electric .

So I guess the caveat from VW is applicable to aftermarket modifications so I can just order it and fit? Thanks again

So I guess the caveat from VW is applicable to aftermarket modifications so I can just order it and fit? Thanks again
Only the Transporter, Caravelle and Shuttle have the option of an electric lifting tailgate. Basically the California with the Chair Storage is too heavy.
It has Electric Closure but that’s not the same.

Thanks for the responses - off to order :)

If you felt how heavy it is with 3 bikes on you would understand why they say that..Its hard enough to lift it a few inches so you can get something out of the back..If The California had an electric opener it would burn out in seconds..

Unless they mount some of these:
1598099049923.png

In my opinion, get a tilting tow bar bike rack. Rack + bar fitting much the same price as an OEM bike rack. Then when not using it can be taken off and stored in the garage. Tailgate mounted racks can often damage the painwork - not a problem for the tow bar version. Can also tow a trailer if required - bonus.

Back